the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Idea for this forum posted 06 Jul 2004, 15:07 by Replay, Auditor

Was just thinking about how I really should get back to teaching myself how to write (not that I did much before) and had an idea of how this forum could be put to use. Instead of members just posting the odd bits from storys they have written, such as it is done on many other forums out there, I figured it might be put to better use by having everyone interested write a short scene that has been specified before hand i.e. everyone has to write a couple of pages about a man at a cemetary. There are many reasons why this could of use as stated below: - Members do not have to worry about coming up with ideas as the scene is already chosen. They only need to think up a way to approach it. - It will not take long to write. Perhaps half an hour to an hour is all it should take (though of course you can spend more on it). - It will not take long for others to read and analyze what you have wrote. This way you get much more feedback. - Writers will be able to compare their own approach to others as it is on the same subject, and thus could perhaps pick up a few extra tips. Another good part of such a thing would be that each writer would submit a lot of varied work instead of just updated chapters of the same thing, especially if a new subject/scene is chosen each week (or two weeks). I have some other ideas for how such a thing could work and be formatted, but it all depends on whether anyone is interested or not. It may not be worth doing if only a couple are willing to take part. So if you are interested please say so, and feel free to post any other ideas you have. view post

posted 06 Jul 2004, 16:07 by Wil, Head Moderator

I think that is a fantastic idea! I hope more people do as well. view post

posted 07 Jul 2004, 00:07 by Sovin Nai, Site Administrator

I am interested. Are you thinking of within this forum, or as a separate site when you say 'I have some other ideas for how such a thing could work and be formatted?' Either way, I'm interested. view post

posted 07 Jul 2004, 02:07 by drosdelnoch, Subdidact

Im quite interested in it. I really want to improve my writing technique, one of the main things that I have a problem with is writing Speech for characters. Writing a sword fight I find easy to do, which most people would find hard but making it believable is something I can visualise, just the characters speech just doesnt sound right when read back. view post

posted 07 Jul 2004, 11:07 by Replay, Auditor

[quote:10ewz06m]I am interested. Are you thinking of within this forum, or as a separate site when you say 'I have some other ideas for how such a thing could work and be formatted?' [/quote:10ewz06m] It would be within this forum, though I could visualise it working well with a seperate site which would have lots of features. Best to start small though. When i mentioned formatting, what I meant was how we would go about making each post/topic so that everything is clear i.e. topic title is "Week 1: Replay's Submission". Also was thinking about a basic guide/format for people to respond and give critique. [quote:10ewz06m]Im quite interested in it. I really want to improve my writing technique, one of the main things that I have a problem with is writing Speech for characters. Writing a sword fight I find easy to do, which most people would find hard but making it believable is something I can visualise, just the characters speech just doesnt sound right when read back.[/quote:10ewz06m] Yeh? For me it's the other way around. Have no problems with dialogue, it's the details where i get a little bit stuck. The good thing about this thing though is that we can put emphasis on certain parts such as characterization, detail, plot, and dialogue for different weeks. view post

posted 07 Jul 2004, 12:07 by drosdelnoch, Subdidact

Seems good, perhaps it'd be a great time to get ready to roll on the idea. view post

posted 08 Jul 2004, 14:07 by Replay, Auditor

Yeah could be worth starting just to get the ball rolling. Even though there maybe only a couple of us to start with, I think others would soon join in. If you want, I can post the first weeks scene later on today or tomorrow along with few rules/outlines. We will then have a week to submit it. view post

posted 08 Jul 2004, 19:07 by drosdelnoch, Subdidact

Ok will keep an eye on it and think about the writing, :D view post

posted 14 Jul 2004, 05:07 by Jernau Morat Gurgeh, Candidate

I think this is a great idea as well. One problem I have is writing on a regular basis. This might help me get into the habit despite my too busy life. I would add that people should try to critique as many of other people's submissions as possible. Anyway, I just posted my attempt at the first scene, and I enjoyed writing it. I can't wait to see what other people come up with. Gurgeh view post

posted 14 Jul 2004, 13:07 by Replay, Auditor

Yeah, everytime I try and get back into teaching myself how to write something always seems to crop up that takes me away from it. Hopefully this will help to keep me coming back to it more regularly. [quote:206g8sqt]I would add that people should try to critique as many of other people's submissions as possible. [/quote:206g8sqt] Definately. The more critiques a writer gets, the better. That way he can get a better picture of which areas he needs to work on more. view post

posted 16 Jul 2004, 16:07 by drosdelnoch, Subdidact

Im pleased to see the amount of submissions that have arrived. Sorry I havent been about for a few days but really wanted to get it written without any outside influences working thier way in. Anyway all the best all Gareth view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown.