the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

What philosophers informed The Prince of Nothing? posted 08 Feb 2007, 15:02 by lordnull, Commoner

Beyond a few critical theory classes in school, I really don't know very much about philosophy although I'm trying to learn more. Which philosophers were the most influential in The Prince of Nothing books? At first I assumed Nietzsche figured heavily, but after reading some of the posts on this forum and a couple of interviews with R. Scott Bakker it seems there are several more informing the books. view post

posted 08 Feb 2007, 17:02 by Peter, Auditor

Well I noticed certain Kantian overtones in the books, but there is also a lot of Hegel apparantly. Ummmm, otherwise I am not so sure. Not too many others as far as I can tell... view post

posted 12 Feb 2007, 04:02 by Holsety, Candidate

The whole "self-moving individual" thing made me thing of Richard Wright's (better known for [i:29mrpgka]Native Son[/i:29mrpgka]) [i:29mrpgka]The Outsider[/i:29mrpgka], a book in the same general vein as Dostoevsky's [i:29mrpgka]Crime and Punishment[/i:29mrpgka]. I've always assumed Wright didn't construct the theory he explores, since he seems much more concerned with exploring it than proving it. You might consider looking at Kierkegaard, who seems to have had a profound influence on Wright, but I've been too lazy to take a closer look. Esmenet's thoughts on [i:29mrpgka]The Sagas[/i:29mrpgka] reminded me a lot of [i:29mrpgka]The Iliad[/i:29mrpgka] in terms of the language. The structuring of them, the history behind the writing, is far closer to the scholastic understanding of the Torah/Tanakh - many authors, . I realize some would probably argue that Homer, God, and the possible authors of the Torah are/were not philosophers, but I'd ask them to leave that for another time, or more bluntly never, since I would agree with that. One of the little chapter preludes really reminded me of Aeschylus' [i:29mrpgka]oresteia[/i:29mrpgka], but I haven't a clue what and I'm probably imagining it in any case. The whole 'dots on the map' with water coming in (as the outside coming in) reminds me of Emerson or Thoreau's Oversoul speech/essay thing. I can't remember which one wrote it - quite frankly, I can't stand either anyway. It's possible that either drew their ideas from somewhere else; certainly, the idea that everything has a connection to the divine isn't too far off from Plato. Frankly, I can imagine Bakker coming up with it 'independently' rather than reading one of them and applying them to his book. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown.