Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Question on Story Pacing In Trilogy posted 31 January 2007 in The Warrior ProphetQuestion on Story Pacing In Trilogy by U-Boat, Commoner

I'm about 150 pages into the 3rd book, and I just wanted to comment on the pacing of the novels.

The first book was brilliant- It kept me engaged and interested with a fluid and fast moving storyline.

The 2nd book was a lot slower, and way too much thinking and philosophical thought IMO.

Now, with Book 3 so far, it's also very philosophical in nature.

Anyone else find this rather unappealing? view post

Question on Story Pacing In Trilogy posted 31 January 2007 in The Warrior ProphetQuestion on Story Pacing In Trilogy by Harrol, Moderator

No not unappealing but I did have to slow down to appreciate it. view post

Question on Story Pacing In Trilogy posted 31 January 2007 in The Warrior ProphetQuestion on Story Pacing In Trilogy by Whiskeyjack, Candidate

Perhaps U-boat would enjoy comics? They are a little more flashy and action driven. view post

Question on Story Pacing In Trilogy posted 31 January 2007 in The Warrior ProphetQuestion on Story Pacing In Trilogy by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

Lets remember that everyone is entitled to an opinion here, I tend to enjoy the philiosophical nature of Scotts books though the next two books were a bit slower they were still quite enjoyable. view post

Question on Story Pacing In Trilogy posted 01 February 2007 in The Warrior ProphetQuestion on Story Pacing In Trilogy by Whiskeyjack, Candidate

I wasn't being entirely facetious, I enjoy graphic novels and comics. I apologize in advance if U-Boat takes offence to my reply, but I just don't understand how someone could think that the trilogy got slower.
They had me on the edge of my seat all the way through. If you found these books slow reading, than you really may be more of a graphic novel type person. view post

Question on Story Pacing In Trilogy posted 01 February 2007 in The Warrior ProphetQuestion on Story Pacing In Trilogy by U-Boat, Commoner

Well yeah, the 2nd half of TTT made up for it- brilliant cliffhanger.

I like deep stuff- I'm a huge fan of Wolfe, Dunsany, Eddison etc, I just didn't like the constant discussion of philosophy. view post

Question on Story Pacing In Trilogy posted 01 February 2007 in The Warrior ProphetQuestion on Story Pacing In Trilogy by Harrol, Moderator

I believe the philosophy will be vital to Bakker's conclusion. This whole story appears to be making several points on life. Cnaiur, Proyas, Conphas, Akka, the consult and Kellhus represent different aspects of life to me. Or should I say peoples' approach to life. view post

Question on Story Pacing In Trilogy posted 01 February 2007 in The Warrior ProphetQuestion on Story Pacing In Trilogy by Entropic_existence, Moderator

Quote: "U-Boat":221tb3op
Well yeah, the 2nd half of TTT made up for it- brilliant cliffhanger.

I like deep stuff- I'm a huge fan of Wolfe, Dunsany, Eddison etc, I just didn't like the constant discussion of philosophy.[/quote:221tb3op]

Philosophy is a very important aspect of Scott's books, he was persuing/has a PhD in philosophy after all. view post

Question on Story Pacing In Trilogy posted 01 February 2007 in The Warrior ProphetQuestion on Story Pacing In Trilogy by Whiskeyjack, Candidate

I agree that philosophy is an integral part of Scott's work. I would even go as far as to argue that philosophy is actually one of the defining characteristics for mature fantasy. Without highly developed philosphical systems for characters to inertact in, fantasy seems to lack a sense of "realism" or character motivation that fans of mature fantasy lit. are looking for. Philosophy also provides a stable backdrop on which a writer can expand on metaphysics, which is imperative for a world with magic. I for one require more than just hack n' slash nowadays. view post

Question on Story Pacing In Trilogy posted 10 July 2008 in The Warrior ProphetQuestion on Story Pacing In Trilogy by Trinket, Candidate

I'd actually have to say that I found the First book the slowest. Maybe it's just me but I think it had something to do with the PoV of Conphas and Xerius. I just found the politics not as engaging as the pilosophy or, of course, the fast paced action parts. Anyone else agree on the Xerius/ House Ikurei parts not being they're favourites? view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown