the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Blindsight posted 24 Jan 2007, 01:01 by Entropic_existence, Moderator

For anyone out there who likes Sci-fi, and in particular what has come to be termed "hard" Sci-Fi recently I read Blindsight by Peter Watts (another Canadian author). I quite enjoyed it and the whole back appendix is references to peer-reviewed scholarly articles, mostly from Science and Nature, about some of the issues he explores. In his own words the novel, while fiction, was a way for him to explore some of these concepts coming out of neuro-science and evolution in a rather extreme way. I thoroughly enjoyed it although its pacing is pretty slow. Kind of one of those books that you can only read in small doses but still are hooked as to what is going on. I'd recommend it thoroughly. view post

posted 14 Feb 2007, 19:02 by RazorSmile, Candidate

Aye. [i:zldv88a3]Blindsight[/i:zldv88a3] was/is more than just a book to me. It was a personality-changing experience. ------------------- In other news, Peter Watts also wrote the Rifters Trilogy: [i:zldv88a3]Starfish[/i:zldv88a3], [i:zldv88a3]Maelstrom[/i:zldv88a3] and [i:zldv88a3]Behemoth[/i:zldv88a3]s β-Max and Seppuku (so it's really more like a tetralogyanyway!). Collectively, they're easily just as good. Same attitude, slightly nearer future, almost as nihilistic, relentlessly interesting. I highly recommend ... just about everything he's written. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown.