the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Harold Lamb posted 04 Jan 2007, 23:01 by borfalkian, Candidate

R. Scott Bakker mentioned Harold Lamb in one of his interviews and now I am a Harold Lamb freak. His books rock and I totally see how they could be inpirational, especially "The Crusades: Iron Men and Saints". Lamb's stuff is mostly out of print though, so you have to go digging through used bookstores. view post

posted 05 Jan 2007, 13:01 by Harrol, Moderator

I bought Iron Men and Saints on ebay. The reason I bought it was Scott's recommendation and I really enjoyed it thoroughly. It was great writing. view post

posted 08 Jan 2007, 14:01 by borfalkian, Candidate

Yeah, I bought it on Amazon, and then ended up buying a whole slew of Lamb stuff off of abe-books. There is a guy who is slowly re-publishing Lamb's adventure fiction as well, through the University of Nebraska's Bison Press. It's good stuff and I can't believe Lamb has been so forgotten by most. view post

posted 06 Mar 2007, 00:03 by lordnull, Commoner

I was interested in Lamb before I read PoN and then I saw the same interview I think you're talking about. I'm hip deep in ASOIF but am looking forward to reading some Lamb shortly...is there anything besides the Crusades book that you've read that's interesting? What's the style like? view post

posted 14 Mar 2007, 02:03 by borfalkian, Candidate

Try march of Muskovy, or his Cossack stories. His style is very narrative based and sweeping. view post

posted 20 Mar 2007, 03:03 by Curethan, Didact

Say, what genre is this? Historical fiction? I'm looking for something different to read, and I might give this a try. A quick perusal of my local bookstore revealed nothing, but mebe I was lookin in the wrong place. I have some specialty bookstores nearby ... military, non-fiction and sci-fi/crime. view post

An alternative to Fantasy posted 26 Mar 2007, 01:03 by Dassem Ultor, Commoner

Two two word phrases .... Historical fiction .... Harry Turtledove .... oh .... and enjoy :D view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown.