Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Terminology posted 30 June 2004 in Author Q & ATerminology by Sovin Nai, Site Administrator

You use the term chainmail in TWP, and I think it would be more correct to use maille or mail. Chainmail (and chainmaille) is a modern slang term, I believe (I make maille, which is why I care). I think maille with two lls looks better personally. view post

Terminology posted 30 June 2004 in Author Q & ATerminology by Cu'jara Cinmoi, Author of Prince of Nothing

The use of archaicisms is a tricky thing when trying to find the right tone. At least I don't call it 'chainmail +3'! view post

Terminology posted 01 July 2004 in Author Q & ATerminology by Sovin Nai, Site Administrator

Definitely! And apparently that is a concern, considering your history...

About Mail

Mail is formed by the interlinking of metal rings. The resultant mesh of links gives a strong flexible armour which provides excellent protection against most cutting blows. It is also beautiful to look at! Note that mail is the correct medieval term, probably derived through the French maille and Italian maglia from the Latin macula meaning the mesh of a net. The modern term chain mail is a pleonasm.

I got this from <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trevor.barker/farisles/guilds/armour/mail.htm">http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trevor.bar ... r/mail.htm</a><!-- m -->. I knew I had read it somewhere. However, I would still go with maille with two ls, as it looks somewhat better and seems to just be a french root word. view post

Terminology posted 11 July 2004 in Author Q &amp; ATerminology by Fortinbras, Commoner

Sorry to revive an old topic (especially with something fantastically unimportant like this,) but am I to assume that Mr. Bakker is a fellow Ragnarok Online junkie? view post

Terminology posted 12 July 2004 in Author Q &amp; ATerminology by Cu'jara Cinmoi, Author of Prince of Nothing

I'm not sure I've even heard of Ragnarok Online... view post

Terminology posted 12 July 2004 in Author Q &amp; ATerminology by Fortinbras, Commoner

Ah, my mistake then. Equipment in RO upgrades to "item name +number." view post

Terminology posted 12 July 2004 in Author Q &amp; ATerminology by Sovin Nai, Site Administrator

That would apply to most other rpgs though, too. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown