the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Riddles posted 05 Dec 2006, 02:12 by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

Ive always loved riddles so Ive started a thread for people to post there own riddles or their own personal favorites. I think I will start with a classic. What goes on four legs in the morning, two legs in the daytime and three legs in the evening? view post

posted 05 Dec 2006, 04:12 by Cordelia, Auditor

A person. Four legs- an infant/baby, they crawl. Two legs- a grown man. Three legs- an old man, they have their two legs and a cane. You are in a cold house in the winter. It is dark. You have one match. There is a candle and there is a wood burning stove. Which do you light first? view post

posted 05 Dec 2006, 04:12 by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

You are quite clever but maybe not clever enough. You would light the match of course. Heres one you might like. There are four brothers in this world that were all born together. The first runs and never wearies. The second eats and is never full. The third drinks and is always thirsty. The fourth sings a song that is never good. view post

posted 05 Dec 2006, 04:12 by Cordelia, Auditor

Water, Fire, Earth and Wind. The elements. I sometimes look into elements too much, mine is Earth. Try this: There is a cabin on the side of a mountain, everyone inside is dead, how did they die? view post

posted 05 Dec 2006, 14:12 by gierra, Sorcerer-of-Rank

oooh, oooh, i got one. how is a raven like a writing desk? oh, um, wait. view post

posted 05 Dec 2006, 17:12 by Cordelia, Auditor

I think the purpose is to answer the previous riddle first before writing a new one... but your riddle has many answers... it isn't really a riddle as much as a "think for yourself" type thing. Answers: Poe wrote on both, they can both be used to create little fliers, neither of them would make a very good pillow. Though I think the right one is that Poe wrote on both. I'm still awaitting a guess or a response to my last riddle... but here's another regardless: What two words have thousands of letters in them. view post

posted 05 Dec 2006, 19:12 by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

Post office, to your second one Cordelia Im still thinking about the first. view post

posted 05 Dec 2006, 19:12 by gierra, Sorcerer-of-Rank

i defy purpose! oh, and WP, since cordelia's answer to your first riddle was apparently incorrect, what is the answer? cos her answer is what i thought as well, it's the sphynxs' riddle from oedipus rex. view post

posted 05 Dec 2006, 20:12 by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

No she got it correct, it was the sphinx's riddle. And while Im figuring the cabin riddle out heres another Five hundred begins it, five hundred ends it, Five in the middle is seen; First of all figures, the first of all letters, Take up their stations between. Join all together, and then you will bring Before you the name of an eminent king. view post

posted 05 Dec 2006, 21:12 by gierra, Sorcerer-of-Rank

oh, i misunderstood you. i can;t figure out the cabin one either. view post

posted 05 Dec 2006, 23:12 by alhana, Auditor

I know the first riddle, they crashed their airplane into the mountain. view post

posted 05 Dec 2006, 23:12 by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

Thats what it was! I think it threw me off the first time because the riddle i heard was a little different with a metal cabin and some other minor differences. Anyone figure out the next one? view post

posted 05 Dec 2006, 23:12 by Cordelia, Auditor

The cabin one is hard... it's a riddle but it's very hard, if you wish, I will allow you to ask questions or I can give you a hint or two. As to WP's riddle, I have the answer: David... D is the Roman Numeral for 500. Five in the middle is the Roman Numeral V... V is in the middle of David. The first of all letters is A and the first of all figures in Roman Numerals would be I (as in the number). If you put it together it's David... as in King David from biblical times. My riddle: There is a thing that nothing is and yet it has a name. It is sometimes tall and sometimes short, Joins our talks, joins our sport, And plays at every game. view post

posted 05 Dec 2006, 23:12 by Cordelia, Auditor

Yep, the metal cabin one was correct, hehe. And know that I am going offline for now but I will be back in 3 hours or so. view post

Your last riddle is a little less common but the answer is a Shadow. view post

Try this I appear in every minute, Twice in every moment, but only once in a million years. view post

I was just about to post "A shadow" but WP beat me to it! I too am going offline.....raging headahce that won't go away and time to think about fodder for the younglings. view post

The letter "m". view post

Even with a headache she solved it. Some serious props to whoever gets this and explains the answer. What row of numbers comes next? 1 11 21 1211 111221 312211 13112221 view post

posted 06 Dec 2006, 00:12 by alhana, Auditor

Words I can crack, numbers elude me..... and make my head hurt worse =P. Though, hot neck wrap+Advil+Life Mate going to get dinner=feeling better. view post

posted 06 Dec 2006, 03:12 by Cordelia, Auditor

Next line: 1 11 21 1211 111221 312211 13112221 1113213211 Why?: It's weird, it sort of describes the previous line by stating the number of each well... number. It basically says that there is one 1, one 3, two 1, three 3, and one 1. Just like the second row describes the first row as having one 1, the third stating that the second row has two 1, and so on and so forth. My riddle: Cannot be seen, cannot be felt, Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt. It lies behind the stars and beneath the hills, Ends life and kills laughter. view post

posted 06 Dec 2006, 04:12 by alhana, Auditor

I am going to guess..I think it is time? view post

posted 06 Dec 2006, 04:12 by Cordelia, Auditor

No. view post

posted 06 Dec 2006, 05:12 by TheDarkness, Peralogue

hey help me out, how does the fourth line describe the third line and so on. that next one is hard, gonna need some time. view post

posted 06 Dec 2006, 05:12 by Cordelia, Auditor

Ok, I'll try to explain it more clearly... 1 11 21 1211 111221 312211 13112221 1113213211 First line: 1 Second line refers to previous line: there is one 1, it is respresented by two 1s. Third line refers to previous line: there is one 1, so the first 1 symbolizes the amount of 1s. Fourth line refers to previous line: two 1s, it is represented by a 2 and a 1, saying there are two 1s. Fifth line refering to previous line: one 2, one 1 Sixth line refering to previous: 11=one 1, 12=one 2, 21=two 1s Seventh line refering to previous: one 3, one 1, two 2s, two 1s Eighth line refering to previous: one 1, one 3, two 1s, three 2s, one 1 Does that make sense at all? view post

posted 06 Dec 2006, 16:12 by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

Darkness That was Tolkien correct? I welcome the day with a show of light, I steathily came here in the night. I bathe the earthy stuff at dawn, But by the noon, alas! I'm gone. view post

posted 06 Dec 2006, 16:12 by Cordelia, Auditor

No one has gotten my last riddle still... you have to answer it before moving on to the next riddle... at least that's how I understand this game works :-/ view post

posted 06 Dec 2006, 16:12 by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

I thought the answer to your last riddle was: Darkness view post

posted 06 Dec 2006, 17:12 by Cordelia, Auditor

Oh, yeah it is... I tohught you were asking the one who has Darkness in there anme tohugh, so I was rather confused! Forgive me. And no, I don't beleive it is Tolkein, it is Stephen King as far as I'm aware. view post

posted 06 Dec 2006, 17:12 by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

Hmm I thought I remembered it from [u:zjgvqgzk]The Hobbit[/u:zjgvqgzk]. view post

Dew With thieves I consort, With the vilest, in short, I'm quite at ease in depravity; Yet all divines use me, And savants can't lose me, For I am the center of gravity. view post

posted 06 Dec 2006, 17:12 by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

Another letter riddle. The answer is "V" view post

Indeed. view post

posted 07 Dec 2006, 00:12 by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

Lovely and round, I shine with pale light, grown in the darkness, A lady's delight. view post

posted 07 Dec 2006, 04:12 by Cordelia, Auditor

A pearl. Where may you find roads without carts, Forests without trees, Cities without houses? view post

posted 07 Dec 2006, 04:12 by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

A map No sooner spoken than broken. What is it? view post

posted 07 Dec 2006, 04:12 by Cordelia, Auditor

A secret or silence. Man walks over; Man walks under; In times of war he burns asunder. view post

posted 07 Dec 2006, 05:12 by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

A bridge You can feel it, you cant see it, and you never will. view post

posted 07 Dec 2006, 20:12 by alhana, Auditor

Love view post

posted 07 Dec 2006, 22:12 by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

Correct or "your heart" would also have been right. My love, when I gaze on thy beautiful face, Careering along, yet always in place, The thought has often come into my mind If I ever shall see thy glorious behind. What am I? view post

posted 09 Dec 2006, 16:12 by Sokar, Auditor

Me! view post

posted 10 Dec 2006, 03:12 by Cordelia, Auditor

The moon! What has eyes yet cannot see? (There's 4 answers) view post

posted 10 Dec 2006, 04:12 by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

I know of two answers off the top of my head "a needle" and a "tornado/storm". We are little airy creatures, All of different voice and features. One of us in glass is set, One of us you’ll find in a jet; The other you may see in tin, And the fourth a box within. If the fifth you should pursue, It can never fly from you. What are we? view post

posted 10 Dec 2006, 05:12 by Cordelia, Auditor

Vowels The word has seven letters, Preceded God, Greater than God More evil than the devil, Poor people have it, Rich people need it, If you eat it you will die. view post

posted 10 Dec 2006, 05:12 by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

Nothing Marking mortal privation, when firmly in place. An enduring summation, inscribed in my face. What am I? view post

posted 10 Dec 2006, 06:12 by Cordelia, Auditor

A tombstone An old man wanted to leave all of his money to one of his three sons, but he didn't know which one he should give it to. He gave each of them a few coins and told them to buy something that would be able to fill their living room. The first man bought straw, but there was not enough to fill the room. The second bought some sticks, but they still did not fill the room. The third man bought two things that filled the room, so he obtained his father's fortune. What were the two things that the man bought? view post

posted 10 Dec 2006, 07:12 by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

Im going with a candle and a match. If you like pretty gems that sparkle and shine, I invite you to dig in my virtual mine. My first is purple, fit for a king, My second is green where Dorothy did her thing. My third is red, July's birthstone as well, My fourth is seen in strings and is found inside a shell. My fifth is hard, pure Carbon and expensive to buy, My sixth is Crocodolite, striped like the big cat's eye. Seventh is two words, a man-made fake of April's stone, Eighth is very dark and found at Lightning Ridge alone. Now take from each gem, one letter in its turn, And you will find the stuff for which even the god's yearn. view post

posted 10 Dec 2006, 07:12 by Cordelia, Auditor

Ambrosia The gems are: Amethyst Emerald ( Emerald City in the Wizard of Oz ) Ruby Pearl Diamond Tiger's eye Cubic Zirconium (Fake diamond) Black Opal Taking the first letter of Amethyst, second of Emerald, etc.. gives Ambrosia - The food of the gods. Almost everyone needs it, asks for it, but almost no one takes it. view post

posted 10 Dec 2006, 07:12 by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

advice If you're 8 feet away from a door and with each move you advance half the distance to the door. How many moves will it take to reach the door. view post

posted 10 Dec 2006, 07:12 by Cordelia, Auditor

Never ever in a thousand years will you reach it... *sigh* What lives in Winter, dies in Summer and grows with its roots upwards? view post

posted 10 Dec 2006, 08:12 by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

an icicle Alive without breath, As cold as death; Never thirsty, ever drinking, All in mail never clinking. view post

posted 11 Dec 2006, 00:12 by alhana, Auditor

One more thing that has eyes but can't see...a potato. view post

posted 11 Dec 2006, 04:12 by Cordelia, Auditor

I don't remember but "true lover" was also one of the answers I was looking for. Answer to WP's riddle: Fish. This thing all things devours: Birds, beasts, trees, flowers; Gnaws iron, bites steel; Grinds hard stones to meal; Slays king, ruins town, And beats high mountains down. view post

posted 11 Dec 2006, 14:12 by alhana, Auditor

Decay. view post

posted 11 Dec 2006, 17:12 by Cordelia, Auditor

No. view post

posted 11 Dec 2006, 19:12 by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

Time I am a tale in childrens’ minds. I keep their secrets and share them inside. I blur their thoughts into fantasies kept Like a canvas of art or a submarine depth. Though an illusion, it occurs every night; I give them a fantasy, I give them a fright. Nor good or bad, but always nigh’ It’s interesting to tell. What am I? view post

posted 11 Dec 2006, 21:12 by alhana, Auditor

Dreams. I am good at answering these but I don't really know any. view post

posted 12 Dec 2006, 03:12 by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

I am the beginning of sorrow, and the end of sickness. You cannot express happiness without me, yet I am in the midst of crosses. I am always in risk, yet never in danger. You may find me in the sun, but I am never out of darkness. view post

posted 12 Dec 2006, 03:12 by Cordelia, Auditor

The letter "S" What is that which goes with a carriage, comes with a carriage, is of no use to a carriage, and yet the carriage cannot go without it? view post

posted 12 Dec 2006, 04:12 by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

Noise? view post

posted 12 Dec 2006, 04:12 by Cordelia, Auditor

Yep. view post

posted 12 Dec 2006, 05:12 by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

Late afternoons I often bathe. I'll soak in water piping hot. My essence goes through my see through clothes. Used up am I; I've gone to pot. What am I? I think you will like this one Cordelia. view post

posted 12 Dec 2006, 05:12 by Cordelia, Auditor

A teabag... I like apple cinammon tea. Squeeze it and it cries tears as red as its flesh, but its heart is made of stone. What is it? view post

A cherry If you have it, You want to share it. If you share it, You don’t have it. What is it? view post

A secret. How many bricks does it take to complete a building made of brick? view post

"the last one" You heard me before, Yet you hear me again. Then I die, 'Til you call me again What am I? view post

An echo. I'm fatherless and motherless, And born without sin. Roaring when entering the world, I never speak again. What am I? view post

Thunder view post

posted 12 Dec 2006, 16:12 by Cordelia, Auditor

Indeed. view post

posted 17 Dec 2006, 06:12 by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

King Tut died 120 years after King Eros was born. Their combined ages when they died was 100 years. King Eros died in the year 40 B.C. In what year was King Tut born? view post

posted 20 Dec 2006, 21:12 by Cordelia, Auditor

20 BC As I was going to Saint Ives, I met a man with seven wives, the seven wives had seven sacks, the seven sacks had seven cats, the seven cats had seven kits. kits,cats,sacks,wives, how many were going to Saint Ives? view post

posted 20 Dec 2006, 22:12 by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

This poem really has a few answers depending on how you interpret it. But the answer is one it never said the other people in the riddle were going to St Ives, all that was said was that the man met the wives,kits, sacks, and cats n the road never that they going to St Ives. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown.