Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Question for Mr. Bakker. posted 20 October 2006 in Author Q & AQuestion for Mr. Bakker. by shadow9d9, Candidate

I just finished The Darkness That Came Before. It is now tied with another as my favorite 2 books of all time. The next 2 books are being shipped to me in the mail as we speak. Amazing writing, intelligent, thought provoking, etc. It was unique in that the book started out great and kept getting better and better.

I prefer to avoid forums such as these because I get super irritated about coming upon a possible spoiler, but I couldn't resist asking this question.

My only criticism about the book was in the last 25 pages or so, in which I felt little happened... however, the one scene that bothered me was the scene in which Esmenet stood as Achamian came back to the camp and he walked right past her. I felt it was sort of a copout that she ran away when he walked by her.

I feel this way because
1. I believe she looked different from from the months at camp with essentially royalty.(she lost weight I think?)
2. It is very reasonable that in an area with tens of thousands+ of people, that it is very easy to overlook someone, even one that you intimately know.
3. She didn't even give him a chance by simply saying "hello", so that he could hear her voice!

I assume that the reason for this is because you wished to use her in the subsequent stories and you did not want them to reconvene their relationship. While I understand this, it just seems out of character and a little bit of a stretch. A little bit forced as well.

Of course, this is an extremely minor complaint, but one that I was wondering if you'd comment on nonetheless(without spoilers!).

I will be spreading the word of the book to all I know. I am absolutely thrilled that there is another top notch author out there.. and a young one at that!

Truly brilliant work. view post

Question for Mr. Bakker. posted 20 October 2006 in Author Q & AQuestion for Mr. Bakker. by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

Im pretty sure the reason he walked straight past her was linked directly to the fact that he had just seen a Skin Spy and was so deep in thought he didnt notice anything around him. This the only conclusion that can be made Im almost positive there was noone else around and this is explained somewhat in the later books enjoy reading. view post

Question for Mr. Bakker. posted 21 October 2006 in Author Q & AQuestion for Mr. Bakker. by shadow9d9, Candidate

Quote: "Warrior-Poet":1k1lpook
Im pretty sure the reason he walked straight past her was linked directly to the fact that he had just seen a Skin Spy and was so deep in thought he didnt notice anything around him. This the only conclusion that can be made Im almost positive there was noone else around and this is explained somewhat in the later books enjoy reading.[/quote:1k1lpook]

I know why he did it.. he was just getting back from the dungeon with the consult spy and was deep in thought... I'm saying it didn't make sense from her point of view.. she never even said hello! She just made a ridiculously quick and illogical judgment and ran, which I felt was the copout.. Bakker obviously didn't want them to reconnect then... It was the only part of the book that felt forced and not logical. view post

Question for Mr. Bakker. posted 23 October 2006 in Author Q & AQuestion for Mr. Bakker. by H, Auditor

But if Scott didn't want them to reconnect then (which he obviously didn't, simply because they didn't) he still wrote the scene for some reason. If the scene had no point, then why bother to even include it at all. The scene could easily had Akka do exactly what he did and not have Esmenet there at all if the sole purpose of the scene was to not have them reconnect.

So, what was the point? My idea would be that it serves to show us Esmenet's state of mind at the time regarding Akka, that is, irrational and looking for some reinforcement for the sense of rejection she was already feeling. view post

Question for Mr. Bakker. posted 23 October 2006 in Author Q & AQuestion for Mr. Bakker. by Harrol, Moderator

At that time Esmi was very pessimistic due to her life. Everyone walks out on her and therefore she expects rejection constantly. view post

Question for Mr. Bakker. posted 23 October 2006 in Author Q & AQuestion for Mr. Bakker. by shadow9d9, Candidate

I understand what you guys are saying. And it is semi-reasonable, but I just didn't feel that it was normal not to say hello to someone before running away. It just felt a little too forced as a scene to me.

I am just super critical of the things I love.. just felt like an off scene to me. view post

Question for Mr. Bakker. posted 26 October 2006 in Author Q & AQuestion for Mr. Bakker. by Mahajanga Mordecai, Auditor

I felt the exact same way when I read it oh so many moons ago. But it serves it's purpose. And not just for the storyline but for her personal development. Consider it a growing pain... for both of you. view post

Question for Mr. Bakker. posted 26 October 2006 in Author Q & AQuestion for Mr. Bakker. by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

Thats a nice way to put it Mahajanga view post

Question for Mr. Bakker. posted 27 October 2006 in Author Q & AQuestion for Mr. Bakker. by shadow9d9, Candidate

Quote: "Mahajanga Mordecai":2qlc3ycn
I felt the exact same way when I read it oh so many moons ago. But it serves it's purpose. And not just for the storyline but for her personal development. Consider it a growing pain... for both of you.[/quote:2qlc3ycn]

That is what I assumed : ). The next 2 books are on my shelves ready to be read as soon as I fix my neck problems.. have a herniated disc from a car accident.. I find I enjoy books much more without headaches/dizziness... oy! view post

Question for Mr. Bakker. posted 27 October 2006 in Author Q & AQuestion for Mr. Bakker. by Harrol, Moderator

I believe the next two books will igve you quite a perspective. Definately let your neck get better first. view post

Question for Mr. Bakker. posted 28 October 2006 in Author Q & AQuestion for Mr. Bakker. by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

Ouch enjoy reading after you heal. view post

Question for Mr. Bakker. posted 21 March 2007 in Author Q & AQuestion for Mr. Bakker. by Jamara, Auditor

You understand where the guys are coming from . . . don't forget, this was written by a guy . . . view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown