Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

No-God and the Topoi of Caraskand posted 11 August 2006 in The Warrior ProphetNo-God and the Topoi of Caraskand by Nerdanel, Peralogue

(I'm feeling a little silly posting speculative threads without being able to peek into the TTT forum to see if it's all done before, but anyway...)

We know that topoi are created when there is a great deal of suffering in one place. Mengedda certainly qualifies, but I think Caraskand does too after its bloody sacking. I think certain curious incidents point that way.

I think the No-God is able to speak in topoi through the throats of dying people such as Saubon's groom Kussalt and Kellhus. Watch out for unexplained italics! Kussalt's laughter and his last words about hating Saubon were out of character, and Kellhus has never before demonstrated a power to direct his words to one person so that nobody else hears, as happened with Cnaiür and Achamian when Kellhus hung from the tree. I also think

Various people, including Achamian, have unusual nightmares while in Mengedda. In Caraskand Achamian, instead of dreaming about Seswatha, dreams about Kellhus and Esmenet having sex. This sort of dream happens to be one of the most obvious avenues if something wants to hurt Akka in his dreams.

It is known that anyone who dies in Mengedda has his soul taken by the No-God. I think that's what happens to Saubon. I think Saubon gets killed by the Cishaurim just before he sees and touches his own corpse, but the No-God resurrects him immediately, so that Saubon doesn't notice dying. I think the reason for the No-God's intervention is to make the Inrithi win, and indeed Saubon's lone charge is the thing that decides the battle while his death would have been a grave blow to the Inrithi morale.

I think Kellhus had figured out the possibility for resurrection, which is why he thought Serwë might come back from the dead. It might be, however, that Kellhus gets resurrected by the No-God, which would be right in theme for a messiah figure.

Incidentally, it would seem that the No-God really is evil rather than misunderstood and is a rational actor. I wonder if the No-God is the mysterious Thousandfold Thought. I wonder if Lakuth is the Scylvendi language version of Logos. view post

No-God and the Topoi of Caraskand posted 16 August 2006 in The Warrior ProphetNo-God and the Topoi of Caraskand by Harrol, Moderator

Nerdanel,

Wow what an observation. i am going to have to go back and really look at that. I hope that White Lord, Mith or Entropic also look at this to see what their input is. view post

No-God and the Topoi of Caraskand posted 17 August 2006 in The Warrior ProphetNo-God and the Topoi of Caraskand by Entropic_existence, Moderator

I just happened to come in here and check as I usually stick to the TTT and the Q&A section of the board for speculation. It definitly is a very interesting theory but not sure if I can add more insight. I'm not quite sure if what happens at a topoi is the soul of the dead being claimed by the No-God or not. Part of me assumed it was more similar to the soul being unclaimed or, if the soul did pass on into the Outside there was some imprint left on the land. I would definitly need to go back and re-read a few parts of the book though to be sure and I don't have access to those currently.

Very interesting ideas though although on a pure violence/suffering level Carascand was like a Riot in comparison to the Holocaust that the Plains where I think. view post

No-God and the Topoi of Caraskand posted 18 August 2006 in The Warrior ProphetNo-God and the Topoi of Caraskand by vercint, Peralogue

Very interesting notion. That would help to explain the Circumfixion.

As for the No-god, I certainly agree he is not your average Dark Lord, but to me his questions suggest a profound lack of some sort. It's like he doesn't know what he is

WHAT DO YOU SEE?
I don't understand...
I MUST KNOW WHAT YOU SEE
Death. Wretched death!
TELL ME
Even you cannot hide from what you don't know! Even you!
WHAT AM I?
'Doomed' whispered Seswatha to the thunder. 'Now, Anaxophus! Strike now!'
I CANNOT S--
A thread of silver light...[the No-God is destroyed]

R. Scott Bakker, The Warrior Prophet, p16

So what do you make of this? I think the No-God is incapable of perceiving itself, which must cause it some distress... it's insane, rather like Cnaiur, only more profoundly and on a grander scale. Also like Cnaiur, the No-God destroys by nature, rather than by choice. view post

No-God and the Topoi of Caraskand posted 19 August 2006 in The Warrior ProphetNo-God and the Topoi of Caraskand by Harrol, Moderator

I have some times thought the same thing but then again there are points that make the No God look sinister. The example of Kussalt. There is another istance that took place in TTT that I will not mention here that also makes me think that Mog Pharu is indeed malicious. I will go to that forum to post it there. view post

No-God and the Topoi of Caraskand posted 19 August 2006 in The Warrior ProphetNo-God and the Topoi of Caraskand by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

I always felt that he did give a bit of an evil vibe off in the books when characters would describe feeling his presence especially in the dreams. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown