Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

The Shortest Path posted 09 August 2006 in The Warrior ProphetThe Shortest Path by Nerdanel, Peralogue

On the way to Asgilioch the various factions within the Holy War choose their own route. Most choose to cut through the plains, but Proyas takes the long way, marches along a road, and arrives to Asgilioch many days before the other Great Names. I do not think it's a coincidence that Proyas is the Great Name who is particularly concerned with moral behavior.

Kellhus's creed is to always take the shortest path. I think the previous events are meant to illustrate that such an approach is not as effective as it might seem. Kellhus doesn't believe in that which comes after could determine which comes before, but in the future the side effects of his choices will be part of that which comes before. As the shortest path to a given goal tends to be unethical, the side effects of Kellhus's successess will stay around to compilcate his life in the future. Moënghus was 100% successful with Cnaiür, but his manipulations resulted in Cnaiür gaining a resistance to Dûnyain techniques as well as a hatred of them.

Similarly, the Mandate's manipulating of Achamian to recruit Inrau was successful in its goal, but later on it caused Achamian to not report on Kellhus when he would otherwise have done so.

The shortest path might be called more accurately the short-sighted path. view post

The Shortest Path posted 09 August 2006 in The Warrior ProphetThe Shortest Path by Mahajanga Mordecai, Auditor

A very good observation! If I didn't know any better, I'd suggest that morality is an "outside" force/agent dedicated to seeing itself served and punishes, through simple cause and effect, those who don't. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown