the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Disappointed... posted 29 Jun 2006, 05:06 by utahinbc, Commoner

I was addicted to the Dark Tower from the first novel. The years waiting until Wizard and Glass came out made me nuts. I think I enjoyed the first 4 novels the best, though I loved Wolves of the Calla. I was very disappointed at the ending, but what else could you expect? I liked the introduction of some previous characters, though it seemed a tad self promoting. view post

posted 29 Jun 2006, 14:06 by RedShift, Candidate

The simple fact is that King is a master of creating suspense. I was so worked up for those books that I was dreaming about them for weeks, and they still have a little place in my heart, but honestly, what could he do? I have no idea how he could have finished them in a truly satisfying way. The current ending works, it fits with what's happened, the definite air of imperfection that the series has (despite constantly kicking ass), and is a mature admission by King that he simply isn't the man to write it properly. That's what gives it the hallmark of a truly great series: the story has a life of its own. We know that's not how the story ends, but we don't know how it [i:3fj449o2]does[/i:3fj449o2]. The story we really want to read is the Dark Tower II (or possibly III or IV), and you can get an impression of that from the series. It's not perfect (nor indeed is the rest of King's Dark Tower work: see the part where he has to actually say that Insomnia (or whatever it's called) is not relevant), as Roland is not perfect (and IMHO that's why the ending really does work, because it applies to the series as well as to Roland), but it's close enough that we get an idea of how it should be. It's a little bit sad that we'll never really know how it ends, but the books still rate as one of my favourite series of all time. view post

posted 08 Aug 2006, 23:08 by noodles0585, Peralogue

though i have to agree that to know the true ending of this series would be awesome you have to love the reality of never seeing somthing as the glory of the top of the tower would be i mean part of the appeal of the dark tower is that roland chases after it and will give anything up to have it like when he lets jake fall to his death in the first book to catch up to the man in black walter. that to me is true obsession while that can be a character flaw thats the beauty of roland of gilead he is not perfect but will let nothing stand in his way either. i felt this series is both extremely orginal and brilliant the characters and plot are fantastic and the ending while sad is understandible that roland must atone for his sins to achieve his goals first.l view post

posted 09 Aug 2006, 17:08 by Ennui, Commoner

I've never read the Dark Tower books, so I can't comment. But I will say this...Stephen King is not a traditional fantasy writer. He writes more novels closer to modern day times. You gotta give him credit for trying at least. view post

posted 15 Aug 2006, 00:08 by noodles420, Subdidact

ennui though that is true with most of his work some of king's books are more fantasy than anything else the eyes of the dragon is one and the seven books of the darktower series is another if you are interested this series is great it begins with the gun slinge then drawing of the three then the wastelands then wizard and glass then wolves of the calla then song of susannah then the dark tower it is great though some are disappointed with the conclusion i would definitely recomend this book. and on a side note the eyes of the dragon was good too so check them out if you ever get the chance. i am noodles0585 view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown.