Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

History posted 22 April 2004 in Writing TipsHistory by Sovin Nai, Site Administrator

How do you go about writing the history of your world? I have tried several different ways. Usually I create the story world, and then fill in history behind it, but I have also started with the first civilizations and traced them to story time nations. How deep do you usually go into history? The whole thing, or create as you write? view post

History posted 22 April 2004 in Writing TipsHistory by Replay, Auditor

I think it is something that needs to be done over time, as it is very hard to just sit down and create a history from scratch.

The first thing i did was to look at the history of a country in our world, and see if there is anything that i could use (after chaging it a bit). After that i just payed attention to things i saw on tv/read online and thought about how these littles bits of info would help flesh out the history of my world (again after changing) e.g. you watch a modern drama and wonder if it would work in a historical setting, and if does, you can use it as part of your history.

Another good way of fleshing out the history is to create a couple of well known writers and painters like shakesphere or picasso in our world. You can then reference to their works in your story, and its even possible to let their works be of historical importance e.g. a painting of one nation surrendering to another. Robert Jordan does this well in his WOT books. view post

History posted 14 August 2004 in Writing TipsHistory by steve, Peralogue

When I write(although I never get far), I always do it over time, and change things until it all fits together. view post

History posted 20 August 2004 in Writing TipsHistory by Orion_metalhead, Auditor

i tend to write the history as i go along. as i describe one thing ill try to include things about its past and other times. then as i keep writing fit other peices in to fill that coincide with what i had already written.

history is tough. and normally it just comes with pracitice i guess. when all else fails you can always look for inspiration in other books or in the news for things you could include in your own history.

its important to make the history colorful and varied and give historical reasons for why one Nation or town may hold a grudge against another. When writing histories just try to think about the reasons a certain group of people may act according to what has already befallen them in the past.

though the writing im doing now i actually have a really good story line done for it and i hope to continue with it. its pretty original i think and that makes it fun to write. view post

History posted 07 February 2005 in Writing TipsHistory by Antenox, Commoner

I always write the history first, before I write anything else. Sometimes, it's all I write.

As for how I write it, I start at the beginning. The very, very, very beginning. As in, "God created the earth" type beginning. This is pretty tough for me, since I don't really like the idea of Greek-style pantheons in fantasy (I much prefer to have a Christian-type OverGod, who is completely impossible to fully comprehend and describe, but whose consciousness and intelligence and involvement in the world are obvious).

Anyway, I progress quickly through the first few ages of my world (shaping of the world, birth of the races, etc.), and then I really hit my stride when I write about a historical age roughly equivalent to classical Greece or Rome. In fact, my current book attempt is set in this kind of age (probably the reason why I'm progressing much more in this attempt than in previous ones).

I usually skip through any "Dark Age" type eras, and then bring focus to "Renaissance" type eras. Basically, I write the history of those periods in history when civilizations are flourishing, and not when civilizations are stagnating. view post

History posted 14 February 2005 in Writing TipsHistory by RevCasy, Candidate

History begins with Geography. Start with a good map. And by "good" I mean a map that makes physical sense. You don't have to be an expert on plate techtonics, but you do need to understand, for example, that mountains or cold ocean currents create deserts.

History can and will flow logically from there.

Now, unless you are far more intelligent than I am (which is a possibility that I don't deny), you are probably going to have to rely on parallels from the real world to make things easier on yourself. An example of this would be in setting up your continent like Eurasia, with a huge expanse of steppe to the east, and a more mountainous and varied geography to the west, with corresponding folk movements from east to west, ect. view post

History posted 07 June 2009 in Writing TipsHistory by Ilyich, Commoner

I take the time to develop the world in my head. I usually end up writing down all of the details, and then theres all of the more micro details. The latter are more difficult for me to think of, since initially when I think of a fictional world, I categorize everything (so this is here, and its called this), but in reality its colourless and doesn't really possess, "flavour".

So filling in history, customs, etc, really helps breathe life into that world. Over time I've learned its best to really thoroughly go over the world and put a lot of thought into each of its parts, rather than just assigning generic models to each (these will be the vicious people, these will be the nice people, these will be the guys who like horses and resemble norse, these will be the courageous people who resemble medieval Britian, etc). I find this was the failing of many of my earlier stories, since to myself they didn't even seem to possess any meaning or life.

Using history is definitely good for gaining inspiration, but really make it yours and not just a rehash.

Then of course that world will probably undergo many revisions as you develop the story, but thats expected view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown