the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Victory! posted 08 Jun 2006, 21:06 by sunnKHANN, Peralogue

I finally got one more person to start reading the 'PoN'... Never mind that it was my girlfriend :? I did it! She also bought me my copy of 'TTT' I'm going to die of happiness. :lol: view post

posted 09 Jun 2006, 17:06 by gierra, Sorcerer-of-Rank

sounds like true love :lol: any time there is a discussion about books i whore the hellout of this series.. view post

posted 09 Jun 2006, 18:06 by Harrol, Moderator

I have gotten three people to read the series over the last year. I must admit it is hard to do because the second you say it is fantasy people try to get all sophisticated. You would think that a good book with an awesome plot and message would be accepted no matter the genre. Oh well some people will not know what they are missing. view post

posted 09 Jun 2006, 19:06 by Xray the Enforcer, Auditor

I've succeeded with a couple of people -- the SO (who will start reading this summer) and a colleague (I even convinced her to buy the damned book instead stealin' mine -- she still owes me my [u:m7q8cd9d]Hyperion Cantos[/u:m7q8cd9d] back!) view post

posted 11 Jun 2006, 09:06 by sunnKHANN, Peralogue

[quote="Harrol":1ddq0im8]I have gotten three people to read the series over the last year. [b:1ddq0im8]I must admit it is hard to do because the second you say it is fantasy people try to get all sophisticated. [/b:1ddq0im8]You would think that a good book with an awesome plot and message would be accepted no matter the genre. Oh well some people will not know what they are missing.[/quote:1ddq0im8] Same here, the conversation/conversion goes a bit like this: 'It's...uhm... it's a, well [i:1ddq0im8]fantasy[/i:1ddq0im8] novel...but it's smart! Seriously! The author's a philosopher as well, it's not like D&... why are you backing away? No, it's smart! [i:1ddq0im8]COME BACK HERE OR I'LL HIT YOU WITH MY +12 GREATSWORD[/i:1ddq0im8]... I mean, aw fuck.' view post

posted 11 Jun 2006, 17:06 by gierra, Sorcerer-of-Rank

my boyfriend was in chapters the other day, and saw this policewoman looking at books in the fantasy section. so he started talking to her and she ended up buying the darkness that comes before. how awesome is that! view post

posted 11 Jun 2006, 20:06 by sunnKHANN, Peralogue

[quote="gierra":1wkqcd6g]my boyfriend was in chapters the other day, and saw this policewoman looking at books in the fantasy section. so he started talking to her and she ended up buying the darkness that comes before. how awesome is that![/quote:1wkqcd6g] :lol: We should start street teams. 'I.F.O' (Intelligent Fantasy Outreach). view post

posted 14 Jun 2006, 02:06 by Edge of Certainty, Subdidact

[quote="sunnKHANN":3gap4sa2] :lol: We should start street teams. 'I.F.O' (Intelligent Fantasy Outreach).[/quote:3gap4sa2] *cough* cult *cough cough* trying to whore the series here in arkansas is like trying to sell the new testement to jews......it's just not a good idea.... view post

posted 14 Jun 2006, 12:06 by Zadok, Candidate

i've gotten a few people to read it so far. if it was someone that wasn't normally a fantasy reader i'd rec Martin first(who most people seem to have at least heard of) and then get them to read Bakker next :twisted: view post

posted 14 Jun 2006, 19:06 by Zarathinius, Auditor

I've told plenty of people about it, but I don't know if any of them have actually picked it up. Now that I think about it, the reasons I like the series so much are the same reasons most of my peer group (ages 15-17) avoids books. Anything requiring more than 60 seconds of thought seems to give most teenagers hives. Curse their tiny attention spans... :x </bitterness towards peers> But anyway, I can't wait until the United Spades of Amerika lightens up about "mature themes" in school. Then they'll put the PoN on every school's reading list...Bwahahaha... :twisted: Or maybe not. view post

posted 14 Jun 2006, 20:06 by sunnKHANN, Peralogue

[quote="Zarathinius":2mifvgrd]I've told plenty of people about it, but I don't know if any of them have actually picked it up. Now that I think about it, the reasons I like the series so much are the same reasons most of my peer group (ages 15-17) avoids books. Anything requiring more than 60 seconds of thought seems to give most teenagers hives. Curse their tiny attention spans... :x </bitterness towards peers> But anyway, I can't wait until the United Spades of Amerika lightens up about "mature themes" in school. Then they'll put the PoN on every school's reading list...Bwahahaha... :twisted: Or maybe not.[/quote:2mifvgrd] I'd prefer not to study the PoN, even given the chance. I enjoy it, and enjoy discussing it. Having some dumbass teacher tell me that it's actually about Jesus would kill me inside. view post

posted 22 Jun 2006, 13:06 by dalamar the dark, Commoner

[quote:37kkxb8w]I'd prefer not to study the PoN, even given the chance. I enjoy it, and enjoy discussing it. Having some dumbass teacher tell me that it's actually about Jesus would kill me inside. [/quote:37kkxb8w] oooooooooh so true view post

Anasurimbor Jesus posted 22 Jun 2006, 14:06 by Mahajanga Mordecai, Auditor

I'd sue for defamation of the holy scripture... the PON series that is. view post

posted 25 Jun 2006, 02:06 by Zarathinius, Auditor

[quote:2ipqks1u]I'd prefer not to study the PoN, even given the chance. I enjoy it, and enjoy discussing it. Having some dumbass teacher tell me that it's actually about Jesus would kill me inside.[/quote:2ipqks1u] Good point. If somebody tries to pass it off as an allegory to any religion, they deserve a good flogging. Anybody who declares it to be blasphemous, however, should be heartily laughed at and made fun of in public. view post

posted 25 Jun 2006, 18:06 by Xray the Enforcer, Auditor

PoN in class? *shudder* Well, Mr X. is 1/2-way through TWP and is loving it. I'm 2 for 2 on epic fantasy series with him (he also loved ASOIAF), so I guess I can keep him around. :twisted: view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown.