the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Just wrong, I tell you. posted 02 Jun 2006, 17:06 by Scilvenas, Auditor

So I stopped by this new mom and pop bookstore/coffee house yesterday in the small town where I live (Kernersville, NC). Basically, it was a converted two-story house. Small, quaint, very open. I asked the lady working there if Sci-Fi/Fantasy had its own section, or if it was mixed in with the fiction. She said it was mixed in, but there was also some in the juvenile fiction. The juvenile section was right there, so I checked it out first. Looking at the titles... Jordan, yep, Tolkien, eh ok, Heinlein's [i:2xqmzxyj]Stranger in a Strange Land[/i:2xqmzxyj], eh not really (can't imagine any kids making it to the orgies at the end of the book). [i:2xqmzxyj]The Warrior Prophet[/i:2xqmzxyj]? No, no, that won't work. I gave her a brief description of the book, and she moved it. Quickly. Heh. Still, it's good to see Scott represented in such a small market. The lady, the owner, I think, was kind of funny. I think she felt she had to explain why it was there. She has a master's in American Lit, you see, so she doesn't read [i:2xqmzxyj]that[/i:2xqmzxyj] kind of thing. :roll: She was nice, though, so I just left it at that. I guess there aren't any Library Science requirements. *shrug* view post

posted 02 Jun 2006, 17:06 by Xray the Enforcer, Auditor

LOL. Wasn't that the exact question Jeff Van der Meer asked of Scott in that Q&A they did a couple of months ago? Awesome. [url:2w7xct6e]http://vanderworld.blogspot.com/2006/04/r-scott-bakker-walks-plank.html[/url:2w7xct6e] I wonder if any unsuspecting shortie victims ever did pick up the book. And if so, did they giggle? :wink: view post

posted 02 Jun 2006, 22:06 by Zarathinius, Auditor

Hehe, that would be quite a sight. I think an aspiring Sci-fi/Fantasy lit fan would probably be intrigued by the title, surprised by the thickness of the spine, and melt their brain if they tried to read it. Brain-melting is NOT a good way to start a hobby :wink: Then again, anybody would be confused if they started with The Warrior-Prophet. But getting back on topic, how the heck did you manage to give a [i:105kwkcm]brief[/i:105kwkcm] description? I can't even begin describing the book to anyone without trying to cram every major plot device in. view post

posted 03 Jun 2006, 11:06 by Scilvenas, Auditor

It went something like this: "It's a great book, but I don't think you want it here. There's uh... homosexual rape, incest, a lot of murder and killing. That kind of thing." And as she fled in horror. "But it really is a great book." view post

posted 03 Jun 2006, 15:06 by Xray the Enforcer, Auditor

[quote="Scilvenas":nadmzfwr] "But it really is a great book."[/quote:nadmzfwr] I'm sure that last-ditch effort convinced her. :P Slightly OT: I have a hate on for our local independent bookseller. They have the most illogical SF/F section ever. Totally random authors...no sense of purpose...and they looked at me blankly when I asked about TTT back in January. They had a copy of TWP on the shelves, yet they had no plans to order TTT? Boo. I had to buy TTT from Barnes and Noble. view post

posted 05 Jun 2006, 12:06 by Tol h'Eddes, Auditor

[quote="Xray the Enforcer":wff2yp6f]I'm sure that last-ditch effort convinced her. :P Slightly OT: I have a hate on for our local independent bookseller. They have the most illogical SF/F section ever. Totally random authors...no sense of purpose...and they looked at me blankly when I asked about TTT back in January. They had a copy of TWP on the shelves, yet they had no plans to order TTT? Boo. I had to buy TTT from Barnes and Noble.[/quote:wff2yp6f] Here, for english books, if it's not in the Globe and Mail top 10 or on Oprah's list, they won't have it in stock. The more you travel east from Montreal, the less english books you'll find. I have to order mines from Amazon or Indigo.ca As for classification, I always find it strange when they put Sci-fi with fantastic. They should be in two sections not mixed with one another... view post

posted 14 Jun 2006, 22:06 by Aldarion, Sorcerer-of-Rank

Nothing wrong with children learning how about 'seed planting' Perfectly innocent activity, yes? ;) view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown.