Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Paradise Lost posted 25 May 2006 in Literature DiscussionParadise Lost by sunnKHANN, Peralogue

Anyone else ever read this?
I've read it once before, and I'm just about to start again. It's great, I think, and really challenged me to change my opinion on poetry. The lack of rhyme and the reliance on rhythm, meter and syntax to keep the flow of the poem going is brilliant. view post

Paradise Lost posted 25 May 2006 in Literature DiscussionParadise Lost by gierra, Sorcerer-of-Rank

i have it at home, always meant to read it, but never got around to it.. eventually i will. view post

Paradise Lost posted 25 May 2006 in Literature DiscussionParadise Lost by sunnKHANN, Peralogue

Quote: "gierra":1wkuw667
i have it at home, always meant to read it, but never got around to it.. eventually i will.[/quote:1wkuw667]

I recommend it, it's really good. Hard to read sometimes, and lengthy, but definately worth it. view post

Paradise Lost posted 25 May 2006 in Literature DiscussionParadise Lost by Entropic_existence, Moderator

I read it once about 6 years ago, quite good. view post

Paradise Lost posted 04 January 2007 in Literature DiscussionParadise Lost by borfalkian, Candidate

As an English Grad student I am very familiar with this work. In fact, it is my message stamp! (Look down.) John Milton kicks ass. view post

Paradise Lost posted 16 June 2007 in Literature DiscussionParadise Lost by IcarusXIII, Candidate

I've got massive hard backs with associated art work for this and Dante's Divine Comedy. They would be the focus of my study if I had one, so untill I get a bigger house they just have to stay in storage. view post

Paradise Lost posted 16 June 2007 in Literature DiscussionParadise Lost by Zarathinius, Auditor

Never read it... but I did see a copy of it in the library once.

It was way in the back, where all the old books nobody looks at are semi-hidden, and it was a small red leather-bound copy no bigger than my hand. The hard cover was slightly warped, but other than that it was in good condition. When I opened it, somebody had written on the blank piece of paper that comes before the title page; it had been a Christmas present someone gave to their father in something like 1873.

I was tempted to ask if I could keep it... THEN I found out much later that Paradise Lost is a famous prose-poem everybody but me knew about. But none of them had seen that particular copy. view post

Paradise Lost posted 18 June 2007 in Literature DiscussionParadise Lost by anor277, Didact

Just to add that one of the best prose homages to Paradise Lost is Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy (and Pullman acknowledges his debt to Milton). The novels have characterized as works but they are wonderfully inventive, gripping, and a cracking story. view post

Paradise Lost posted 01 January 2008 in Literature DiscussionParadise Lost by zephyr, Candidate

yeah Paradise Lost is a really awesome read. It's a little bit of a hard read, but I think there is a novel version of it by Joseph Lanzara and is much easier to understand if you're having trouble with the poem. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown