the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

what kind of hat would akka wear? posted 18 May 2006, 12:05 by Edge of Certainty, Subdidact

yeah, it's kinda strange to ask, but i've just finished Akka's face on my portrait of him(acryllic on canvas) and i can't decide what the hell he will be wearing on his head....i tried a whole slew of different hats that just don't work for him....i don't think i should paint him without one (is he old enough to be bald? idk...) and for that matter, what kinda clothes will he be wearing? oh, by the way, his model didn't turn out to be MacEnroe as planned......i decided to use Matisyahu as the model (for those of you who don't know who he is, look him up). He already has the beard thing goin on....so anyway, what do you think? hat or no? and what kind if so? eww, gay, that rhymed view post

posted 18 May 2006, 12:05 by Curethan, Didact

No hat. Short cropped hair, cuz fatties hate sweatin out the scalp. Balding rather than bald, but not at all in my mental portrait. Hats are too stereotypical for wizards, and the characters in PoN are anything but stereotyped. If he did have a hat though, I would recommend Rincewind's, just for irony's sake. view post

posted 18 May 2006, 13:05 by gierra, Sorcerer-of-Rank

i see him as being dressed in a ratty tunic, tied around the waist with rope or something.. no hat, pretty much like curethan said, with short cropped hair that is thinning a bit. if anything he might have a hooded cloak or something. view post

posted 18 May 2006, 14:05 by Sokar, Auditor

Akka doesn't look anything like that Mutisyahu character in my mind.. Now I am interested how you have made him look. Any chance for seeing that already? view post

posted 19 May 2006, 01:05 by Edge of Certainty, Subdidact

[quote="gierra":139irj3m]i see him as being dressed in a ratty tunic, tied around the waist with rope or something.. no hat, pretty much like curethan said, with short cropped hair that is thinning a bit. if anything he might have a hooded cloak or something.[/quote:139irj3m] I know the books said he always looked poor but i was going for an "official portrait" ....like one he might have gotten after he became advisor to kellhus....... and i wasn't going for a stereotypical "wizard's hat" and i certaintly agree that the characters in PoN are anything but stereotypical, but i was thinking of an advisor's hat...like the kind they wear in traditional japanese court (or somthing like that)....but i see what you mean....balding but not bald, i like it....... and as for seeing it now....maybe....all i have painted is his face so maybe you could give me some ideas as to what hat and clothes would look nice on him. the thing is.... :oops: i don't know how to post pictures from my personal files onto the board.....i'm such a dumbass, i know....any help? someone? view post

posted 19 May 2006, 03:05 by Edge of Certainty, Subdidact

yay! i figured it out...finally [img:3avsvwfz]http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1889/3/35/44/45/18/0/18454435310_0_ALB.jpg[/img:3avsvwfz] so there it is...haha....for now all i have drawn on his head (tho u can't see it) iis a cowboy hat.....hehe, just for fun view post

posted 19 May 2006, 03:05 by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

Its a good drawing but it reminds me of Bin Laden or one of his friends no offense. view post

posted 19 May 2006, 07:05 by Edge of Certainty, Subdidact

that is the exact first thing i thought.............but to make sure, i looked up Bin Laden and he has a square cut beard, a hooked nose, and darker skin....so there view post

posted 19 May 2006, 08:05 by Curethan, Didact

Lol. And I was just gonna suggest a square cut beard, I think that is described as the "fashion" for older men in Earwa - in Akka's final scene he notes that Proyas looks older with his beard cut square... I don't think he looks like Osama by the way, I like the middle-eastern caste to his features you have achieved. Fits with my impression of the setting. He doesn't look fat or old enough though, all that time under the sun weathers the skin you know, so maybe a bit darker and more wrinkles for mine. Re the hat; I reckon one one of those arabic fabric rectangles with the cord around the crown might be good. Some kind of head protection prob'ly would be a nessecity 'cause the three seas seems like a hot kind of place - don't remember snow being mentioned at all around the 3Cs. Re: clothing; I kind of imagined one of those fat people's shapeless sleeved dress things - you know what I mean? Like Homer wore in that ep of the Simpsons when he packed on the pounds so he could work from home ;) -bit more stylish tho, obv. Maybe a solid red with a dark blue tabard stripe and cuffs - oh yeah, with the cord style belt definatly - matched to the head piece. Guess I'm suggesting a Lawrence of Arabia style ensemble overall, more like Omar Shariff's character in the movie, but that's just my suggestion based on my internal visualisation... Very good job so far, I reckon! Kudos. view post

posted 19 May 2006, 13:05 by gierra, Sorcerer-of-Rank

[quote="Curethan":2eszwgt4]Re: clothing; I kind of imagined one of those fat people's shapeless sleeved dress things - you know what I mean? Like Homer wore in that ep of the Simpsons when he packed on the pounds so he could work from home ;) [/quote:2eszwgt4] a mumu! :lol: view post

posted 19 May 2006, 17:05 by Edge of Certainty, Subdidact

lol......mumu..... thanks for the ideas....i was really stuck there... view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown.