the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

The Fate of Conphas posted 11 May 2006, 16:05 by paslaugh, Commoner

After reading a number of posts, I think that most readers assume that Conphas is dead. If anyone could tell me where it explicitly says this please let me know. I was under the impression that he survived Achamian's attack, but his army (and the Imperial Siak) were broken because of it. view post

posted 11 May 2006, 16:05 by Zadok, Candidate

He did survive Achamian's attack, however he was ridden down by Saubon and his army almost immediately after this. I don't have the book in front of me so I can't give you an exact page number right now. view post

posted 11 May 2006, 19:05 by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

pg 382[quote:226s9i5o] The Emperor of theNansur turned, not really believing... He saw King Saubon leaning from his saddle, his face ruddy with murderous intent. More than sun glinted in the man's blue eyes. He saw the broadsword that took his head[/quote:226s9i5o]. If "He saw the broadsword that took his head." doesn't mean he is dead I dont know what does. view post

posted 13 May 2006, 21:05 by Brahm_K, Candidate

[quote="Anonymous":je9ufy9c]Interestingly enough, however, Mr. Bakker does not give us a date for Conphas' death in the appendix which follows TTT.[/quote:je9ufy9c] Ya, but the appendix does not include spoilers from TTT. Its meant to be looked at while you're reading the book; hence Bakker doesn't include events that take place during or after the book. view post

posted 14 May 2006, 19:05 by mr nobuddy, Candidate

.... only if Necromancy exists in the Three Seas, and Achamian or the Consult has this knowledge, I think he's gone. And Good Riddance to him. view post

posted 14 May 2006, 22:05 by anor277, Didact

I think we've reached a consensus there. Conphas is dead. The scene early in the novel when Conphas confronts Kellhus as the prophet, and Kellhus picks apart Conphas' pretensions and personality was brilliantly dramatic. And it couldn't have happened to a more deserving moral degenerate. view post

posted 15 May 2006, 12:05 by Zadok, Candidate

[quote="anor277":3s8wl9yk]I think we've reached a consensus there. Conphas is dead. The scene early in the novel when Conphas confronts Kellhus as the prophet, and Kellhus picks apart Conphas' pretensions and personality was brilliantly dramatic. And it couldn't have happened to a more deserving moral degenerate.[/quote:3s8wl9yk] I thought this scene was very interesting, in that much of what is "wrong" with Conphas could be applied to Kellhus as well, except of course for his false pride. I think Conphas would've made a excellent Dunyain if he had the training from when he was a child. view post

posted 15 May 2006, 22:05 by Curethan, Didact

Yeah, reading between the lines there - Conphas was a classic example of a psychopath. view post

posted 21 May 2006, 15:05 by brandon, Candidate

i actually had a level of respect for conphas. although he didn't have the most likeable personality, at least he had the strengh of will to see through Kellhus. in the end only achamian could do that. view post

posted 25 May 2006, 13:05 by dalamar the dark, Commoner

yeah, i really liked Conphas as well false pride can be a powerfull ally if you use it right he kind of reminded me of myslef in a more extreme case. I was glad he died though Kellhus would have had to crush the entire Empire if he lived view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown.