Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Chorae - Weapons of the Tekne? posted 13 March 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtChorae - Weapons of the Tekne? by Brady, Candidate

Does anyone else think that Chorae are possibly weapons first designed by the Inchoroi to combat the magic of the Non-men? I recall Akka (or maybe some other character) reflecting that no one knows where Chorae came from, or how they are created.

The main clue that made me think the Chorae could be 'weapons of the Void' is during one of the Ciphrang POVs in TTT. Zioz recognizes the Chorae only as 'absences'', which perked my interest. Absence implies that the Chorae lack something that links them to the world, and to the Outside. Zioz, as a creature of the Outside, cannot quite fathom what they are, because they are alien to Earwa. They are things of the void, like the Sranc or skin-spies. view post

Chorae - Weapons of the Tekne? posted 13 March 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtChorae - Weapons of the Tekne? by anor277, Didact

Quote: "Brady":i842n6ay
Does anyone else think that Chorae are possibly weapons first designed by the Inchoroi to combat the magic of the Non-men? I recall Akka (or maybe some other character) reflecting that no one knows where Chorae came from, or how they are created.

The main clue that made me think the Chorae could be 'weapons of the Void' is during one of the Ciphrang POVs in TTT. Zioz recognizes the Chorae only as 'absences'', which perked my interest. Absence implies that the Chorae lack something that links them to the world, and to the Outside. Zioz, as a creature of the Outside, cannot quite fathom what they are, because they are alien to Earwa. They are things of the void, like the Sranc or skin-spies.[/quote:i842n6ay]

I think the glossary contains references to Non-Men sorcerors of the Aporos, who, as renegades designed the Chorae, which were then used by the Inchoroi as a defense against the mighty Non-Men sorcerors (i.e. the An-aporetic ones to use a double negative). In other words, the chorae are not Techne artefacts but Non-Men ones. view post

Chorae - Weapons of the Tekne? posted 13 March 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtChorae - Weapons of the Tekne? by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

No you are wrong the Chorae were given to the men of Eanna by the Inchoroi the Chorae were then used to enter Earwa "breaking of the gates" This is one of the reasons men were able to overcoem Non-men. view post

Chorae - Weapons of the Tekne? posted 13 March 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtChorae - Weapons of the Tekne? by unJon, Auditor

Both WP and anor are right. The Chorae are products of the Apropos not Tekne. The Inchoroi had the sorcerors make them, then used them against the non-men and also gave them to the people of Eanna. view post

Chorae - Weapons of the Tekne? posted 13 March 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtChorae - Weapons of the Tekne? by Shryke, Candidate

it was explained by Scott on the Q&A forums ages back (pre TWP actually) but it basically goes like this.

Nonmen sorcerors discover/invent a new form of sorcery called the Aporos. It's based on using the paradoxes inherent in languages and description to unravel sorcery. It's considered too dangerous to be researched and the Aporotic (think that's the right word) are banned from using it. This is because nonmen technology IS sorcery, and this branch of it is a threat to everything their society is built on.

Then, after the Womb Plague, when the nonmen attack the inchoroi, we find out that the Inchoroi had contacted those Aporotic sorcerours and given them a place to study and refine their craft. The result is the Chorae. The Inchoroi used these to withstand and counteract the nonmen Qura, who had devistated them the first time they'd fought.

The Inchoroi then, I believe, after their eventual defeat, gave many of these to men to help them wipe out the last of the nonmen.

Oh, and FYI, if you didn't get it already, these have NOTHING to do with the Tekne. Chorae are, funnily enough, sorcerous artifacts. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown