Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Any suggesations posted 11 March 2006 in Literature DiscussionAny suggesations by Sokar, Auditor

First off I would like to say hello, I know I should be doing so in the other thread, but I suppose if there is no bio, there is no need to create a thread. I am not so much of a fantasy fan, but the Prince of Nothing (the first two books, the third one is not out here yet) has been something exceptional. To be honest, I have never read any fiction going such deep into the human psychie.

I need some suggestions on fiction which are pretty much like The Prince of Nothing, there are none I know of, especially as I have never been a fan of fantasy. I have tried the Lord of the Rings and some similar books, but they do not interest me in the same way. So for those who do have a broad knowledge of books, could someone suggest something for me to read? Maybe by knowing what interests me you will have a better judgment: I am very much interested in Human thoughts, the "roots of thought" (in the first of the books) has made me ponder for a couple of weeks. Philosophy is one of my late passions, yet not one of contsruction, such as Plato or Marx, but those on "analysis" of man, Foucault, Nietzsche, and Gurdjieff, which I read only briefly..

Maybe I should have made a short bio, but still.. Someone any ideas of what fiction I should get my hands on to? view post

Any suggesations posted 11 March 2006 in Literature DiscussionAny suggesations by unJon, Auditor

"The Name of the Rose" - Umberto Eco
Excellent historical fiction with a lot of philosophical undertones: plato, aristotle, bacon. It's a classic and a very good read.

"A Game of Thrones" - George RR Martin
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the other great fantasy series. It's not as 'deep thought' as PON, but there are a lot of amazing characters and it is epic in scope. Marting is great at creating gray characters (no black/white), and this series is enthralling.

"Dune" - Frank Herbert
The classic Sci-Fi book. More political philosophy than psychology but deals with ideas of omniscience.

"Crime and Punishment" - Fyodor Dostoevsky
It sounds like you would like anythng by Dostoevsky, but this is my favorite. A real study of human character.

"Hyperion" - Dan Simmons
The rest of the series falls off some, but this first book is amazing. It is Sci-Fi, but told in an interesting way (a couple of strangers on an important trip that they don't understand that take turns telling their backstory). Again it touches on a lot of philosophy.

"Manifold Time" - Stephen Baxter
Another Sci-Fi, but near future and very realistic on the Science. It deals with a few different paradoxes in very interesting ways.

If you are in to 'heavier stuff' (slow plots, not page turners, but very intersting and thought provoking) then I would recommend the following: "The Left Hand of Darkness" - Ursala K Le Guin; "Gravity's Rainbow" - Thomas Pynchon view post

Any suggesations posted 12 March 2006 in Literature DiscussionAny suggesations by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

You also might want to try The Algebraist by Iain M. Banks simply an awesome book that I think you will find great. Its Sci-Fi but still good. view post

Any suggesations posted 12 March 2006 in Literature DiscussionAny suggesations by taineer, Commoner

I would suggest to you The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen R Donaldson. The first book is Lord Foul's Bane. Thomas Covenant is the epitome of anti hero character study. view post

Any suggesations posted 12 March 2006 in Literature DiscussionAny suggesations by Sokar, Auditor

Thanks a lot.. I would appreciate more suggestions, though for now I have my hands full with these... view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown