the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

TTT Encyclopedia posted 07 Mar 2006, 03:03 by VJustin, Commoner

Hey Mr. Bakker, I suppose I'll begin with some brief praise that you are all too tired of hearing. I'm a huge fan of your work. George R. R. Martin showed me how wonderful fantasy could be and (I was afraid) ruined the genre for me. That was, until I came across Prince of Nothing. I am currently re-reading the series in preparation for TTT and am now realizing how much more I like your word that A Song of Ice and Fire. Easily my favorite series. Truly fantastic. Everything I look for in fantasy (and fiction for that matter). Alright...now my question is in regards to The Thousandfold Thought. I just picked it up yesterday and was leafing through the appendices and was a bit worried about what I saw. Seems like a lot of the secrets you've been guarding regarding the history of your world are revealed. Brooding over the mysterious world-building has been one of my favorite aspects of your works. Should I wait until I finish TTT until I read the apendices? Are most of the secrets revealed in the appendicies revealed within the actual book as well? Or should I read the appendices before? Or during? Could I even refer to it now while finisishing a re-read of Warrior-Prophet? Thanks! view post

posted 07 Mar 2006, 04:03 by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

I'm not Scott but id say to read TTT first as if you read the appendices before you finish many things would likely be spoiled for you. There are many things in the back are not explained in the books but alot of it may spoil TTT for you. However its your decision. view post

posted 07 Mar 2006, 06:03 by unJon, Auditor

I guess better safe than sorry, but I don't remember any TTT 'secrets' that get outed in the appendix. view post

posted 07 Mar 2006, 13:03 by zarathustra, Peralogue

While no TTT suprises are given away in the appendix I think that looking at it would profoundly affect the way you read TTT. I would suggest if u can not looking at the appendix until the end but you will need far more will power than me to not look up entries such as the Heron Spear or the Cuno Inchoroi wars. Good luck. view post

posted 07 Mar 2006, 18:03 by Entropic_existence, Moderator

Even the bits of the world revealed in the Appendix still hardly scratch the surface of the heart of Earwa. It gives us an overview of history, but the metaphysics and such are far cooler, in my opinion, as far as world building goes. Don't worry, Scott has promises there is still much to be revealed in the future. view post

posted 07 Mar 2006, 21:03 by Jora, Commoner

The Consult's motivation for killing everybody is revealed in the appendix, so I wouldn't read anything that has to do with them. And don't read about Mangaecca. view post

posted 15 Mar 2006, 17:03 by Cu'jara Cinmoi, Author of Prince of Nothing

Yeah, definitely wait before reading the Glossary. I actually think I screwed more than a couple things up while putting the thing together, simply because I was so paranoid about spoilers. Some things I left out, that I should have put in, and some things I put in, that I should have left out. The problem is that I get lazy from time to time, and start relying on my memory instead of consulting my notes. Well, okay, so I'm lazy pretty much all the time. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown.