Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Characters in Aspect-Emperor posted 28 February 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtCharacters in Aspect-Emperor by Ikiru, Candidate

Like many of you, I'm already thinking about Aspect Emperor. I find myself wondering which characters will be back, and who the book will focus on. Will we see a mostly unfamiliar cast of characters, or mostly people returning from the Prince of Nothing, just a little older? Obviously, Kellhus is the again titular character, and I imagine Esmenet, as his empress, will still be a big part of the storyline. But what about everyone else? In the Q+A forum, Scott said Akka and Esmenet's story is "far from over," so we can assume that Akka will still be around, but in what capacity? Over 20 years, will Kellhus somehow win his forgiveness? I find it hard to believe that Akka would accept that, or that Kellhus would even care - in fact, it's amazing that he didn't just have Akka assassinated.

But anyway, what of Proyas, Maithanet, Saubon, Nautzera, and other important characters from this series? I imagine most will still be around, but I wonder if they will be focal points with their own point of view sections again.

There's also Kellhus and Cnaiur's sons to consider. They will both be around 20 at this time, and if I remember correctly, everyone believes Cnaiur's son is Kellhus's (although when he likely grows black hair, people may question that.) Kellhus may have had other children by the time of AE. Will these children be major characters? Will Kellhus's children be of the Few?

Finally, I was a little confused about Cnaiur at the end. Does he die with Serwe in the darkness, or does "Absolute darkness" just refer to the lack of light? If Cnaiur is alive, I can't imagine him not being part of the next story.

Well, I'd love to see what some other people think! view post

Characters in Aspect-Emperor posted 02 March 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtCharacters in Aspect-Emperor by Diem Kaye, Candidate

You know what character I want to see more of that I was dissapointed in how scarce he was in this first Trilogy? Maithanet.

Battle Pope, half-dunyain, kick-assery? Personally, I always wondered how he got to be the leader of the Tusk, when the only two races that his mother could've been would've been either Fanim or Scylvendi. Unless Moenghus somehow fathered him somewhere between the area of the Dunyain and the Steppe? view post

Characters in Aspect-Emperor posted 02 March 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtCharacters in Aspect-Emperor by Linnea, Candidate

Didn`t it say somewhere in tDTCB that Maithanet was from Nilnamesh?
I think Nilnamesh is spoken of as an inrithi nation,or perhaps I´m just imagining things now in my desperation for the tTT appendices.

And yes,I hope Kellhus doesn`t dominate the narrative too much in tAP.I find him well written (the first scene describig his journey from Ishual through the woods still remains one of my favorite parts)but not all that exciting.
I keep waiting for him to get some personality I suppose.Plus he talks an awful much...I don`t know how Esmi does it,perhaps she just tunes out his voice and rests her eyes on that fine physique... view post

Characters in Aspect-Emperor posted 04 March 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtCharacters in Aspect-Emperor by Noctis, Candidate

Maybe the next book will surprise (probably it will!), but the triumvirate of Kellhus, Achamian, and Cnaiur are almost a necessary part of the story at this point; Akka and Cnaiur seem to me to be two aspects or voices of Kellhus, in a way, two sides of his personality almost. Certainly two of the biggest influences on him..

Plus, it doesn't seem to me like either Akka or Cnaiur's stories really got closure, more questions than answers left at the end of TTT for both of them.

So even if the next book is about the next generation, I'd bet we see these three in the background at least.

I agree about Maithanet, too, the glimpses we got of him were really intriguing. view post

Characters in Aspect-Emperor posted 04 March 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtCharacters in Aspect-Emperor by unJon, Auditor

Noctis, i agree as far as Akka. I thought that Cnauir's story arc got closure. I think that he will be in AE (but I could also see him not being there), but as a very changed person. view post

Characters in Aspect-Emperor posted 04 March 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtCharacters in Aspect-Emperor by Ikiru, Candidate

I think Cnaiur is done .. his story arc ended, if he's still alive, I don't think he'll be a major character. It won't surprise me a bit if he's completely absent. view post

Characters in Aspect-Emperor posted 04 March 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtCharacters in Aspect-Emperor by Mithfânion, Didact

I do not expect to see Cnaiur back.

I'm also not sure any of the Great Lords like Proyas, Saubon etc will have roles bigger than they had now. Given the passing of so much time, I think we'll see a great deal of new characters actually. People that have worked their way up in Kellhus' hierarchy, becoming Nascenti or have other roles.

We'll see an increase in presences from the Consult, with the story entering a more decisive phase, and then having to resort to something else than Skin Spies.

I see a bigger role for the Nonmen, certainly. We'll see some Zeumi. I hope that the story will take us to the North, where this is so much unseen land and so much mystery and true danger.

We may see the rise of some new institutions like The Knights of Tryse, defenders of the Anasurimbor (see glossary).

I think Kellhus' child/children will play a signifcant role. I wonder if it is a coincidence that the story skips enough time for them to go from babe to fully grown adults. Cnaiur's son as well of couse. I suspect Kellhus will try to father several children givern earlier comments in PoN.

And Maithanet as well. Personally I hope to see some more of the very cool Thunyeri. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown