Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

The No-God posted 20 August 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtThe No-God by Harrol, Moderator

True enough he may not be completely aware of himself but he is a destroyer and a ravager. The question to me is are these inate side effects of his being or are they intentionally done by him? If the answer is that he intentionally destroies and brings death then I say he is malevolent whether he completely understands himself or not. view post

The No-God posted 20 August 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtThe No-God by vercint, Peralogue

I agree that the question turns on whether the No-God controls his own destructive effect or not. From what we see of him so far I think he doesn't, but PoN doesn't give a definite answer. Probably because the question is important for later series.

I think the most significant information about the No-God so far are the questions, which imply he lacks self-awareness amd hence the ability to be intentionally evil, and the description in TWP p16 of the Carapace as a "nimil sarcophagus sheathed in choric script." This suggests that his nature is similar to that of Chorae, which we know are paradoxes which undo sorcery. My guess is the No-God is a contradiction intended to undo life (that would explain the dead-born children). view post

The No-God posted 21 August 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtThe No-God by Harrol, Moderator

That's a good point i had forgotten about that description of the No-God in TWP. view post

The No-God posted 28 August 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtThe No-God by brandon, Candidate

I like to think of the no-god as anti-matter in relation to matter. he is a negative. hence like stated, being a negative of the outside or of a soul, births a born still because his presence forces a negative i.e. the lack of a soul. As such, it is a tool which the inchorai can further their own designs with, but isn't so much a positive, existent being. view post

The No-God posted 28 August 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtThe No-God by Harrol, Moderator

If he is a tool then why do the Inchorai worship him? Even their constructs such as the Wracu worship him. view post

The No-God posted 28 August 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtThe No-God by anor277, Didact

My post above, whoops! view post

The No-God posted 29 August 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtThe No-God by Harrol, Moderator

I do not remember where it is at in the books but we are told that the Inchorai summoned the No-God rather than creating him. view post

The No-God posted 30 August 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtThe No-God by anor277, Didact

Quote: "Harrol":2hbfjkpe
I do not remember where it is at in the books but we are told that the Inchorai summoned the No-God rather than creating him.[/quote:2hbfjkpe]

And they summoned him complete with a chorae casing, or did fit they fit the device to him later? They also apparently summoned him with a built in mechanism for commanding worship from biotechnological artefacts, the Sranc, the Wracu etc. I don't wish to argue the point really, the truth is we don't know and your guess is certainly as good as mine. I hope Scott's conception of the No-God, whatever he turns out to be, lives up to our expectations. view post

The No-God posted 30 August 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtThe No-God by Harrol, Moderator

I am not trying to argue i am trying to get as many of the pieces together as I can and hopefully figure something out about him. So far I find the concept of the No-God to be fascinating and unique. view post

The No-God posted 31 August 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtThe No-God by Murrin, Peralogue

I think that the Chorae carapace might have been what they used to trap the No-God - to hold it in the world, as it were.
I expect it is not something that is meant to be in the world: It was certainly bewildered and ignorant, when they finally brought it out onto the battlefield; I doubt it can understand what the Consult have done to it. That suggests that it exists in the Outside only, until they bring it through and trap it.
Considering the Consult's purpose in existence--to cut the world off from Outside, to cut it off from the God, in order to eliminate the possibility of damnation--and the effects of the No-God's presence in the world--no new life can enter the world while the No-God is present--there are some very interesting implications.
If no new life can enter the world, what does that mean? Does the No-God's presence work as a resistance to the entry of life, or is it an elimination of life's source? view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown