Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Quick and Dirty Prince of Nothing RPG posted 11 February 2006 in RPG DiscussionQuick and Dirty Prince of Nothing RPG by Cynical Cat, Auditor

A thought hit me today as I was basking in the aftermath of devouring The Thousand Fold Thought: Green Ronin's Black Company D20 could be modified fairly easily to work for Earwa.

Both are worlds with powerful magic, but few magic items. The Black Company has feats, modified classes, and rules to take into account a nastier, dirtier world where even the nastiest customer can be taken down by surprise or a lucky shot. It also has a built in mass combat system, which is handy as both series share no shortage of war.

Some modifications

1) Dunyain. The Weaponmaster class in Black Company is a nonsupernatural monk variant that can be skilled with weapon or barehands (but no uber chop socky). An excellent base for the Dunyain, although one has to make Bluff, Diplomacy, and Sense Motive class skills.

2) The Wizard class can be adapted without too much difficulty. Obviously sorcerers using the Gnosis would be higher level than Anagogic equivalents. For PCs, obviously a Mandate sorcerer of equal character level to a Scarlett Spires is junior compared to high ranker and thus of roughly equal power.

Some modifications are in order though:

a) Some talents doen't exist (healing and shape change) and should be removed.

b) Chorae obviously give unbeatable SR and do damage to wizards in contact with them based on how high level the wizard is.

c) Sorcerers of the Three Seas can't have prepared spells.

d) Even rookie sorcerers are dangerous in Earwa. We've also weakened the wizard class by removing prepared spells and adding chorae. The magnitude bonuses should be increased to balance the class and allow them to use the level of power shown in the books.

The levels I'm kicking around with at the moment are:

Dabbler: +3

Student of Wizardry: +6

1st Magnitutde: +12

2nd Magnitude: +24

3rd Magnitutde: +36 view post

Quick and Dirty Prince of Nothing RPG posted 28 July 2006 in RPG DiscussionQuick and Dirty Prince of Nothing RPG by Hellscythe, Auditor

Well, sorry it took me a long time to get to this thread. It seems you are on to something there, Cat. If you tell me where to get this game, Id go and get it. Also, we may need someone who works in the computer gaming industry, one who could get this game made for us... view post

Quick and Dirty Prince of Nothing RPG posted 28 August 2006 in RPG DiscussionQuick and Dirty Prince of Nothing RPG by Cynical Cat, Auditor

It's a pen and paper RPG. You should be able to order from them directly or get it at your local gaming store. view post

Quick and Dirty Prince of Nothing RPG posted 31 August 2006 in RPG DiscussionQuick and Dirty Prince of Nothing RPG by Entropic_existence, Moderator

Ok for some reason until just recently I hadn't even seen this section of the board, which is quite odd. Anyway I would love to be involved in any project of this nature. I don't get to actually game anymore but I have a decent head for adapting D20 stuff from one setting to another and looking for new material from other d20 sources.

The Black Company game sounds like it would make a REALLY good adaptation for Ericksons Malazan series as well. view post

Quick and Dirty Prince of Nothing RPG posted 31 August 2006 in RPG DiscussionQuick and Dirty Prince of Nothing RPG by Cynical Cat, Auditor

Well, the problems with the Malazan system is that there are no provisions in the Black Company game for handling Warrens. Everything else could be adapted fairly easily (and no surprise in that considering the influence that the Black Company has on the Malazan universe) but a signifigant magic system redesign would be needed.

In further musings, Dunyain could an human raise variant, with its own background (Black Company handles humans slightly differently than vanilla D&D, each character gets a bonus feat, a minor special ability, and bonus class skills based on his background instead of the usual bonus feat and bonus skillpoints). Bluff and Sense Motive could easily be Dunyain background skills. Possibly giving it some special bonuses (Int and Dex boosts) at the cost of a level adjustment might be in order. view post

Quick and Dirty Prince of Nothing RPG posted 31 August 2006 in RPG DiscussionQuick and Dirty Prince of Nothing RPG by Entropic_existence, Moderator

That may work, after all the Dunyain are "bred" and as such would function in much the same way as a sub-race would. Of course canon Dunyain would likely all be Monks of some kind. view post

Quick and Dirty Prince of Nothing RPG posted 31 August 2006 in RPG DiscussionQuick and Dirty Prince of Nothing RPG by Cynical Cat, Auditor

Quote: "Entropic_existence":6kh8ht5w
That may work, after all the Dunyain are "bred" and as such would function in much the same way as a sub-race would. Of course canon Dunyain would likely all be Monks of some kind.[/quote:6kh8ht5w]

Weaponmaster class in Black Company, as I said. It doesn't have the blatant over the top supernatural junk of D&D monk and is good with weapons and unarmed. Just a little tinkering with the class to make it more Dunyain like and it should be fine. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown