Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

The Mandate Skin-Spy posted 23 February 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtThe Mandate Skin-Spy by anor277, Didact

@EE, I can remember years ago reading Larry Niven, on the writing of detective novels in science fiction. In a sci-fi world an apparently motiveless murder with no suspects could be explained by a time traveller coming back in time and killing the father of his (the time traveller's) worst enemy. Leaving the paradox aside, Larry Niven who did write several good sci fi detective stories assured his readers that he would not introduce time travel - because the consequences would defy logic.

Now in the current fantasy novels, motive and aims and reasons are all areas of reasonable speculation and anticipation, given the logic and internal consistency of the fantasy world. For instance, if we'd been a little smarter, we may have realised why the Consult was at the war with the Cishaurim and why the Cishaurim attacked the Scarlet Spires at the end of the Warrior Prophet. It is my opinion that the sorcerous skin spy defies the internal logic of the novels, and the author has set these conditions - perhaps this is analagous to introducing the time traveller as before. Now according to Maithanet, Simas was a one-off, never to be repeated entity. This is a good thing because it gives us confidence in making further predictions in the next series of novels (but only if Maithanet is right of course). But I think the novels would have been much more internally consistent if the skin spies had no such ability and had infilitrated the Mandate by "mundane" means.

If you disagree we must agree to differ. And since this "argument" is crossing a few threads we should restrict it to this one.

edited for another point view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown