Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Glad to see we have this forum posted 02 February 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtGlad to see we have this forum by rycanada, Peralogue

Sorcery had to come from somewhere. I think explaining the supernatural as a window to the metaphysical works very well.

But more importantly, I think there IS a good explanation for what's going on. This might not be right (i.e. what R. Scott Bakker ultimately reveals) but it's at least a coherent case:

The Outside can be investigated scientifically (i.e. with hypothesis confirmation / contradiction), and it appears what Achamian described as the "light of the Outside" enters into the real world by "peeking through" human beings (i.e. the soul). So it seems to make sense that it doesn't "peek through" in the void of space - only on worlds (hence world-specific influence of the Outside).

Now, the Inchoroi are aware of the influence of the Outside, the existence of the soul (at least among the highest-order Inchoroi), and they're highly concerned with avoiding pain and gaining pleasure (i.e. they want to avoid damnation but have no interest in redeeming themselves). So I think we can conclude that they'd be very aggressively investigating the nature of the interaction of the Outside and Earwa. Thus, I think it's appropriate to assume that their actions are at least well-grounded in an understanding of that interaction (they wouldn't hold back from gaining immediate pleasure unless they believed they had a good reason).

From the way the situation has been described, the Outside's influence on Earwa seems much like liquid under pressure coming through a membrane: If there are enough holes for water to get through, then the water flows, but there are only very few, the membrane holds and nothing comes through. In the case of the Outside and Earwa, this would mean the Outside would be shut off (no flow between it and Earwa), saving the Inchoroi from damnation. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown