Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Glad to see we have this forum posted 24 January 2006 in The Thousandfold ThoughtGlad to see we have this forum by Nauticus, Auditor

Quote: "Grallon":2eqiah5y
Someone will have to clarify this for me: the Inchoroi wanted to destroy humans & non men to 'seal the world' ?! Are we talking about a physical phenomenon or a philosophical concept ?[/quote:2eqiah5y]
I think it's philosophical - it's their version of a religion. They're saving their souls from being damned.

Some observations about TTT:

- the pacing was not balanced: too much ruminations in the first part for the quickened rythm that followed in the last part;
[/quote:2eqiah5y]
I didn't mind that. The beginning built the tension of the forthcoming battle, the meeting, and the climax. What else could have happened at the beginning? The Fanim were retreating...

- though I understand the necessity to set the stage for the next book I felt that Comphas was definately short changed. *scowls*;

I was definately a fan of Conphas, and I hoped he was going to become the Aspect-Emperor. But I can't blame Bakker for killing him.

- similarly the unexplained falling in line of the entire Mandate behind Khellus was annoying. Entirely too much time was wasted with Achamian's redundant feelings for the whore and Cnaiurs madness while not enough was devoted to fleshing out other sub plots;
Unexplained? When Achamian was talking to Nautzera, he told the Mandate, "Wait until you meet him" or something with the same point. The Mandate were cautious about Kellhus, but they met him and we know the results. I don't know what was so unexplained about it.

And which subplots did you want more time fleshing out?

- by the end of TTT it seem to me Khellus has grown so much - so fast - that the Consult does't look very threatening anymore. One can only imagine what he will be after 20 years of learning/practicing/improvising on the Gnosis... If he trains more like him - why the Second Apocalypse will be a walk in the park. And that's clumsy storytelling to deflate your main villain so fast.
I'm not sure. I don't know if it's clumsy storytelling, as it might have been intentional. But I don't see the Consult any less of a threat. Yes, Kellhus is powerful, but we haven't seen any of the incarnations of the Tekne (Old Science). Keep in mind, the No-God will probably be resurrected, and the Heron Spear is missing. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown