Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Cnaiur and Serwe posted 08 December 2005 in The Warrior ProphetCnaiur and Serwe by butlersr, Candidate

Good reply.
Yes I am reading modern-day ideas into sexual identity. Simply because the story was written by a modern man and everything he writes is coming from his own frame of reference.
I do believe that Cenaur's sexuality is at the very heart of his struggle. He loves Kellhus and wants him, but hates himself for it. He's constantly in pain and there's no mention of pain over Cenaur betraying his people. Whenever Cenaur's in horrible pain, it always referrs to homoerotic feelings toward Kellhus. Besides, I have other ideas about what it's all about which I put in another post.
I'll paste part of it below. Definitely sticking my neck out on this one.
-------
I think the author is gay as well. And not openly so.
He takes a little too much delight in the degredation of women and a little too much delight in the phallus. Ever other page sports an erection of some sort. And just that whole scene with Cenaur (sp?) coming naked out of the ocean. It was homoerotic as it was - and seemed like a snippet from a sexual fantasy. But then to take it further letting the reader, incidentally, know that Cenaur's (sp?) has huge penis. Thanks for the info, it's important to me to know that the main characters are well-hung. Speculation is fun so I'll go on. I'd say that the Warrior-Prophet is Bakker's idealized self, and Cenaur is his dark half. His view of women is clear enough as I stated, and the rest of the characters are only there to react to him (being Bakker's idealized self as well as his dark half). They are in awe of his idealized self but also fear and persecute it, and are loathsome and fearfull of his dark half. So I guess I'm saying that the books, as good as they are - are all about him. But what great writer isn't a narccist, really?
Ah, but there is my main criticism then - that is where the book faltered. Bakker wasn't interested in the other characters so much - only how they reacted to his main characters, or as I said-him. So the character developement fell short, motivations weren't explored. The plight of the narccisist again. Being "all about the author" limited it from being great.
And that's too bad, because it could have been great.
---------
Basically I'm feeling that Cenaur is just the expression of a side of Bakker. More specifically the shamed homosexual side. So believing this, yes, I do think that his sexuality and the accompanying shame are the most salient points of the character - with all else flowing from that struggle. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown