Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

What about akka and esme. posted 08 December 2005 in The Warrior ProphetWhat about akka and esme. by butlersr, Candidate

I think that the answer to her actions can be understood within the framework of the author's view toward women. I'm not criticizing it at all but I think it's fairly apparent that he thinks them weak and fickle.

What Esmi has always done is cling to the strongest man - or more specifically, the man who can best provide for her needs; physically first, and emotionally second. The evidence for this motivation is:
She always loved Achamian while she was a whore - he met many of her emotional needs; but she didn't feel that she could count on him - there was no security there. So she stayed with prostituting - it was secure. As she started getting older she realized that prostituting was losing its security (there are no old prostitutes) so she started to persue Akka more and more. He was the only offer of security at that time - even though he couldn't offer much, it was the best at the time. When she went to look for him she encountered Sarcellous. And fell in a type of love for him; why? - Because he was able to provide for her, she had found security in his wealth and prestige. But, he was unable to meet her emotional needs as well - so she continued to seek Akka to meet those needs while Sarcellous continued to meet her physical needs. Then Achamian commits himself to her. He's then able to meet both of her needs and she promptly dumps Sarcellous (a good thing really, but she didn't know that at the time).
Uh-oh, now here come The Warrior-Prophet! He is handsom and esteemed by many and shows every sign of someone who will soon be able to support a harem of women if he wanted to. Not to mention he works her ego nicely by calling her "the mother of the world" or some such thing. She's tempted from the start - and at the first sign of Akka's withdrawl from her life she jumps at it. She's looking again for that security - not to mention she's a bit of a social climber.
And this is why i say that Bakker takes a dim view of women. Because the characteristics that I've described are one of man's main criticisms against the female gender. Their loyalty has a price - and that price is security and prestige (which in traditional societies are one in the same).
He boils this main female character down to the wost characteristics of her gender. First she's a whore, second her fidelity in love is conditional, and third she's prone to constant jealousy for what other women have. He hasn't taken her character outside of these stereotypes once.
Ahh..I'm having fun now - I think I'll take it a step further. I think the author is gay as well. And not openly so.
He takes a little too much delight in the degredation of women and a little too much delight in the phallus. Ever other page sports an erection of some sort. And just that whole scene with Cenaur (sp?) coming naked out of the ocean. It was homoerotic as it was - and born of one's own sexual fantasies. But then to take it further letting the reader, incidentally, know that Cenaur's (sp?) has huge penis. Thanks for the info, it's important to me to know that the main characters are well-hung. Speculation is fun so I'll go on. I'd say that the Warrior-Prophet is Bakker's idealized self, and Cenaur is his dark half. His view of women is clear enough as I stated, and the rest of the characters are only there to react to him (being Bakker's idealized self as well as his dark half). They are in awe of his idealized self but also fear and persecute it, and are distgusted and fearfull of his dark half. So I guess I'm saying that the books, as good as they are - are all about him. But what great writer isn't a narccist, really?
Ah, but there is my main criticism then - that is where the book faltered. Bakker wasn't interested in the other characters so much - only how they reacted to his main characters, or as I said-him. So the character developement fell short, motivations weren't explored. The plight of the narccisist again. Being "all about the author" limited it from being great.
And that's too bad, because it could have been great. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown