Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Feast for Crows due this Summer posted 19 November 2005 in Literature DiscussionFeast for Crows due this Summer by RiderOnTheStorm, Candidate

Quote: "Edge":1qnrl5yd
So presumably some of you have read it by now. Were you as disappointed as I was? Not his best work. Reads like half a book - which it is I guess.[/quote:1qnrl5yd]

I cant say i was disappointed.. I thnk i see where you are coming from but the plot is so huge, the cast of characters even bigger, that even a master like GRRM must take some time (or a few hundred pages) and try and flesh non-fantastical things out. I found the beginning of hte book a little slow but by the end i was riveted.

I think one of the things that sets GRRM's writing apart from almost all other writers in this genre is his ability to write high fantasy w/o many of the elements that are normally assosciated with high fantasy. e.g. tons of magic, copious amounts of wizardly displays, uber god like characters that are impervious to anything. That is not to say that there arent elements of those things in ASOIAF but this series is so good because the characters are that good. Not because they are all uber and tossing magic around like it was nothing. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown