Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

You should be afraid... very, very, afraid. posted 31 October 2005 in Author Q & AYou should be afraid... very, very, afraid. by Scilvenas, Auditor

First, the obligatory Fight Club quote:

All a gun does is focus an explosion in one direction. You have a class of young strong men and women, and they want to give their lives to something. Advertising has these people chasing cars and clothes they don't need. Generations have been working in jobs they hate, just so they can buy what they don't really need.

Second, Echoex, when you say caveat emptor, that people should make their own rational decisions, stand up for themselves, well... isn't that what Scott is doing? But instead of responding to each individual ad, he's responding to the tactic. Even more to the point, the response is in response to previous generations of advertisements. I'm sure you're aware that some ads have adverse reactions (for example, the gubernatorial race here in VA took a turn for the worse recently when the Republican candidate argued a bit too fervently for the death penalty), so advertising has already predisposed a decent segment of the population to this position.

I know it's in your best interest to promote a general bonhomie for advertising, but you appear, to me, to be saying that the only valid reaction to advertising is a positive or null one. Even if there was some small print at the end of an ad saying something to the effect of "this ad made with neurocasting technology" (wasn't a similar kind of warning proposed for genetically modified foods?), the truth of the situation is that the advantage of resources is still overwhelmingly in the corporate court. The balancing factor is the one of personal choice, and if efforts are made to circumvent that... view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown