Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Scott, I'd appreciate your take on this posted 27 October 2005 in Author Q & AScott, I'd appreciate your take on this by Cu'jara Cinmoi, Author of Prince of Nothing

I was arguing instead that the genre itself has in general certain limitations as to scope and focus and that these limitations can affect the enjoyment of the characters for those (such as myself) who tend to look for inner completeness of Character.

And the primary limitation, if I take your meaning right, has to do with the abstraction from real world contexts.

I think this is an appealing argument: it seems plausible that abstraction from real world contexts would have a corresponding effect on character. But I think this is simply an added danger faced by speculative fiction writers, not an inevitabilty.

The fact is, places like Earwa are very real, despite being fantastic.

Personally, I think the problem is primarily institutional. I think the system is rigged to funnel many of those with the ability to represent the complexities and ambiguities of life into 'serious literature.' I'm actually going to post a column I wrote following that question to Rob Sawyer on a different thread... view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown