Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

The Destruction of the Dunyain posted 06 September 2005 in The Thousandfold ThoughtThe Destruction of the Dunyain by Twayleph, Auditor

Well to the risk of getting caught in a crossfire between Mith and WL, here's my opinion on the subject.

Would it be so hard for them to change their ways of life - from isolation and secrecy to active involvement in world-born society? Not really. In fact, the Dûnyain strike me as the people who would have the least difficulty adapting their activities to circumstances. To world-born men it would indeed appear as a complete turn-around on their ways, but perhaps not to the Dûnyain. They would probably think that in allying with world-born Men, Nonmen and who-knows-what else, they are still doing what they have always been doing - following the Shortest Path to their destination. In this case, maximizing their chances of survival so they can continue their Conditioning after the dust settles.

But it seems to me that allying with human nations isn't their only choice - not even their most likely. Based on the Consult's complete ignorance of the Dûnyain until very recently and to the context of the prologue, it seems that their reaction to War was to flee, not to ally with mankind's defenders. Why should their reaction this time around be any different? If the Consult besieges Ishuäl (or shows sign of wanting to besiege it), could they not simply flee that old citadel and go hide elsewhere (i.e., Zeüm)? view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown