Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Do you believe a God exists? posted 30 August 2005 in Philosophy DiscussionDo you believe a God exists? by Deerow, Auditor

The probably isn't religion per se...it is organized religion. Any religion where they sit down and tell you "this is what you think" can only lead to bad things. If you consider yourself to be more of a non-denomanational Christian (for example) I think you are better off than someone who follows the what their priest says verbatim.

While I'm not 100% confident in my beliefs I'd say I believe in God and a lot of Jesus' teachings (so basically just the Gospels for me). That cuts out a lot of the "it is immoral to do this! and that! and this!" I think, but keeps a lot of the "love they neighbor" and "do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Essentially it lets you be a religious person without being some mindless being that believes everything they are told.

Not that you even have to be a non-denomanational Christian to be a moral person. Just saying that is my basic standing. I hate it when people equate atheism or agnosticism with demon worship or general evil behavior. Most of the people I know who are atheists and agnostics are better people than the religious nutjobs I know. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown