Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

What is your favorite sport? posted 17 August 2005 in Off-Topic DiscussionWhat is your favorite sport? by Alric, Auditor

To steal from the old EA Sports ads... sport is when you can say, "I am better than you, and I can prove it."

I think "sport" can be defined differently by just about anyone who you'd ask. I prefer a more general definition myself. Sport is where through physical skill, a person or team, is competing against other persons or teams. These might be decided by judges rewarding performance, by scores achieved directly against another. Now, this definition leaves a certain grey margin in the middle where people can certainly argue. Is darts a sport or a bar room entertainment? Why the heck does ESPN carry poker tournaments? What was that trampoline competition at the last olympics?

For me, figure skating is a sport. Anything that is that physically demanding, precise and requires that much time and talent to perfect is a sport. The wonderful thing, you don't have to agree with me because there are plenty of sports out there for everyone. Heck, follow the wonderful Ashes this summer. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown