Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Eddings posted 25 July 2005 in Literature DiscussionEddings by target, Auditor

Hey, i was just wondering if people had any thoughts on any of the Eddings books?

My personal favourite is the Redemption of Althalus with the Belgariad and the Mallorean up there with it as a saga format. Whilst i was entertained by the Elenium and the Tamuli, i never felt any great connection to the characters or the story, yet i still enjoyed them very much. Their latest forrays into the fantasy genre however, have left me a little disappointed as i don't feel they are up to their usual standard.

The Elder Gods is a fairly simple read, with nothing too challenging in it. Whilst still being entertaining reads, i dont feel they are anywhere near as engrossing as their earlier works. Again, the Treasured One left me with no great desire to pick up the next book imediately. For instance, i have just finished reading the Runes of the Earth, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince and am currently immersed in the engrosing Warrior Prophet, all of which have left me wanting to read further, to complete the story, to find myself once again in those worlds. Yet, with the Dreamers, i haven't really had the same desire. With the great prolifeation of fantasy that has just erupted onto Britain's selves, i found myself eagerly awaiting, with my little cash, the new installments of Harry Potter and the Prince of Nothing, without feeling too much loss when not purchasing Eddings latest, something that i have not felt in a long time.

Anyway, now that i have rambled my views across to everyone, i wondered if anyone felt the same or had different views and insights to express? view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown