Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Deleuze and Guattari? posted 11 July 2005 in Author Q & ADeleuze and Guattari? by Cu'jara Cinmoi, Author of Prince of Nothing

Never been a fan of Capitalism and Schizophrenia, actually (which is to say, the Guattari stuff). It was the earlier Deleuze of Difference and Repetition and The Logic of Sense that I found more interesting - though I'm not sure I would 'recommend' reading either of those books! D&R, especially, was one of the most difficult books I ever read.

Despite the parallel concerns of the relation between anteriority and power, I just can't say I absorbed enough of the Deleuze and Guattari stuff for it to have played an actual formative role in my work. I'd be more inclined to say that the parallels are more the result of me taking the same departure point, which is to say, Nietzsche and Freud.

In terms of French post-structuralist influences in a more general sense, I would have to say that early Derrida and the Foucault of The Order of the Things (especially the "Man and his Doubles" chapter) are pretty important. But in a critical sense as much as anything else. The question of veracity, which is almost always translated into questions of power in the French post-structural tradition, is given quite a different spin in my books, I think... I have many, many problems with post-structuralism. I am a skeptic afterall.

I'm not sure any of that helps! view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown