Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Holy war: the ultimate blasphemy posted 25 June 2005 in Philosophy DiscussionHoly war: the ultimate blasphemy by Harrol, Moderator

To answer the question were wars ordered by God? Yes, they were. As you pointed out with Joshua, King Saul, King David and so on. If these men had not fought then yes they would have been outside of the will of God. I can not explain this compared to the commandments given by Jesus. All I know is to be holy one must obey God and love Him with all your heart, soul, mind and strength. One more point to add. David without dispute in the Bible was a man of God. We know he fought multiple wars and killed many people in the role of protector of his people. As stated before he was a man of God, in fact a man after God's own heart. Yet because of all his killing he was forbidden to build the temple for God. Only a man of peace his son Solomon could build the temple. I do think that gives us some perspective. To the original topic of God ordering a war is it Holy. I believe in the cases of Joshua, Moses and David that yes they were a holy war. I lack understanding on many of these things but Aleo is right if God orders it it is holy. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown