Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Holy war: the ultimate blasphemy posted 23 June 2005 in Philosophy DiscussionHoly war: the ultimate blasphemy by AleoMagus, Commoner

I find that intersting considering the fact that most people who hate God spend a lot of time trying to disprove the very Bible that they quote from.

It's actually not that interesting at all.

It's simply a matter of deriving a logical contradiction from another person's assumptions to show that at least one of their assumptions MUST be incorrect.

For example, I might assume the following assumptions (ALL of which are perfectly reasonable in the context of this thread):

1. God does not sanction killing
2. The bible is true
3. According to the bible, God sanctions the killing of Blasphemers
Then the LORD said to Moses, "Take the blasphemer outside the camp, and tell all those who heard him to lay their hands on his head. Then let the entire community stone him to death. Say to the people of Israel: Those who blaspheme God will suffer the consequences of their guilt and be punished. Anyone who blasphemes the LORD's name must be stoned to death by the whole community of Israel. Any Israelite or foreigner among you who blasphemes the LORD's name will surely die. (Leviticus 24:10-16 NLT)

---------------------------
4. therefore, god does and does not sanction killing

I beleive this is called a reductio ad absurdum argument, and it is quite valid. Take your pick which of those assumptions you want to throw out.
#3 is a simple fact, so it has to be either #1 or #2. So, either god does sanction killing, or the bible is false. Or both.

Now I cans ee that you may be ready to conceed that god does sanction killing, but that this is not 'holy'. After all, you did say:

There were wars ordered by God for a purpose

well, this might work, but I'll put together another argument for you. this one is a simple syllogism:

1. there were wars ordered by God for a purpose
2. All that god would have us do is holy
Just as He who called you is holy, so you are to be holy in all that you do" [1 Peter 1:15 NIV].

--------------------------------------------
3. There were wars that were holy

QED

Now, do I believe this? Of course not. This conclusion just fits into a part of another reductio ad absurdum argument. Do I need to spell it out?

Regards
Brad S

PS - I don't 'hate' god (the christian conception of god) anymore than I hate Clifford the big red dog. But if someone tries to tell me Clifford is real, I might just try to convince them otherwise. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown