Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Orson Scott Card and Homosexual Marriage posted 02 June 2005 in Philosophy DiscussionOrson Scott Card and Homosexual Marriage by Scilvenas, Auditor

Quote: "Kidruhil Lancer":29ky2mt1
I don't see why they shouldn't get married... but getting married in a church or having a minister say "by the power invested in me by God.." just wouldn't be right.[/quote:29ky2mt1]

I agree with you, and I am not a Christian. However, it's important to note that, just like the word "marriage," "god" and to a lesser extent "church" are not the exclusive domain of christians. More importantly, not every christian (or christian sect that may have a church) believes in the strict interpretation of the bible that proclude's gay marriage (for example, look at how many christians believe in ghosts or having their pets with them in heaven and such). In a society whose government forbids the imposition of any single faith on the whole and grants favorable status for marriage to the whole, the government can't define marriage or allow a single group to define it. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown