Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Ong Bak Absolutely rules! posted 02 June 2005 in Off-Topic DiscussionOng Bak Absolutely rules! by Nauticus, Auditor

It was a great movie, but I disagree that people interested in Martial Arts would particularly like it. After all, just because he can preform pre-rendered combat patterns on TV doesn't really mean he's a very good fighter. Mind you, the same goes for Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee, and even Jean-Claud Van-Damm.

I train in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Jishin-Ryu Jujitsu, Judo, and kickboxing. I used to take, and reached, green belt in Taekwondo. I've competed, won and lost, in both gi and no-gi Jiu-Jitsu tournaments, Judo competitions, Taekwondo events, SANCHU Karate matches, kickboxing fights, and huge Modified Pankration spectacles. Thing is, there are no flying side kicks in a real fight. It usually consists of jabs and crosses, followed by a high kick/clinch to knee/clinch to takedown, depending on the stylist.

There's very little jumping in a fight, due to the elimination of your balance once you do so.

Good movie, but I think some people overemphasize his combat skill too much. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown