Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Incariol, what does it mean? posted 28 August 2009 in The Judging EyeIncariol, what does it mean? by Curethan, Didact

Mekertrig is definitely the nonman Kellhus meets; Scott let that one slip here.

Quote: "Cu'jara Cinmoi":2eqitpk3

I can recap and clarify the info that's been given so far: the Nonmen are an ancient race, the 'original people' of Earwa, who are nearly immortal, and who fought both for and against the No-God during the Apocalypse. They are slowly going insane: their minds can only hold roughly four or five human lifetimes of experiences, and as the centuries pass the traumatic experiences they suffer crowd out their other memories, until now, almost all Nonmen remember only the pain and loss in their lives. And some, like the Nonman (Mekertrig) that Kellhus meets in the Prologue, have taken to creating traumatic experiences just so they can have something to remember...[/quote:2eqitpk3]

I am of the opinion that nonmen look alike in a similar way that all chinese "look alike" but moreso. Meaning that men would focus on their physical divergences that are consistent between individuals rather than on the differences between said individuals, thus making them all appear alike. A man who had learned from and befriended many different non-men (i.e. Seswatha) would be expected to be able to reliably differentiate between them.

If nonmen were effectively clones of each other I feel that Scott would have rendered their society and culture much differently.

There was another little nugget of nonman info in the thread with the above quote in that I just had to repost it here even though it is off-topic.

Quote: "Cu'jara Cinmoi":2eqitpk3

Many Nonmen wander Earwa and the Three Seas, searching for trauma - which is to say, memories. A few hundred serve Golgotterath. The majority of these are what are called 'Erratics' - Nonmen who've been driven mad by the accumulation of trauma.

The majority of surviving Nonmen, however, dwell in Ishterebinth - stonghold of the ancient Nonmen nation of Injor Niyas - where they struggle to keep the dwindling flame of their ancient civilization alive. Here the Quya and the Siqu masters continue their studies, developing techniques, sorcerous and otherwise, to keep their race sane.
[/quote:2eqitpk3]

I jusrt love the nonmen - so cool. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown