Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

The Logos/Dunyain posted 25 May 2005 in The Thousandfold ThoughtThe Logos/Dunyain by White Lord, Subdidact

Quote: "Tattooed Hand":2ca3pdsn
The face-training specimens come from outside. The Dunyain maintain some contact with the nearest human tribes, and sometimes people simply wander too close to Ishual and are captured. This is also a source of trade for the advanced goods the Dunyain can manufacture in exchange for food, when it's needed.

I have to disagree with this, White Lord. I don't think the Dunyain have had ANY contact with the outside world. The face specimens were failed Dunyain who as a result of physical and/or mental defects (probably from too much inbreeding) were unable to complete training and were used for training purposes such as these. I am pretty sure this is outright stated that they are failed Dunyain in TWP. [/quote:2ca3pdsn]

I know no such thing is stated in TWP (about Dunyain defectives). What I was referring to was mentioned by Scott on this board. I'll try to find the exact quote (buried somewhere in the Q&A board), but I don't have time right now. Anyway, I agree with you that the Dunyain have no extensive contact with the outside world (they never stray far from Ishual, but they do get outside to some extent -- remember the forest training scene from Kellhus's recollections), still some contact with humans (defectives) exists, and was mentioned by Scott on the board. I'm positive he mentioned the neuropuncture scene and the origin of the specimens.

Quote: "Tattooed Hand":2ca3pdsn
I also think that the Kelhus's physical abilities and mental abilities are naturally quite elevated and have had the benefit of being honed even further by Dunyain training.[/quote:2ca3pdsn]

I agree. The Anasurimbor have Nonman blood, which gives them some "advantages" Scott has hinted at. What they are is open to debate, but the fact is that the Anasurimbor were superior to ordinary men at the time of the Apocalypse and are infinitely more so after Dunyain conditioning, which is a reason why I think there was some divine interference responsible for the Dunyain finding Ishual in the first place and "nurturing" the Anasurimbor line. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown