Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

The Logos/Dunyain posted 22 May 2005 in The Thousandfold ThoughtThe Logos/Dunyain by Twayleph, Auditor

I would disagree with that last point; in my opinion, the very essence of traditional sorcery, as we know it in Fantasy, is that it's unnatural. It wouldn't be magic if it worked inside the laws and boundaries of the world; when a sorcerer just says a word and the person in front of him bursts into flames, I don't think it's a simple question of understanding the world. Sure, there are laws ruling sorcery, but they're not the ones governing this world and that's why to non-sorcerers it appears wondrous and incomprehensible.

In PON, when one of the Few witnesses sorcery, he is at once able to recognize it because it is not of this world but rather of the force that created this world (the God?). As I see it, common people are like cartoon characters living in their little 2D world and forced to follow its rules - and the Few are the ones able to take the cartoonist's pencil and draw a big "X" over those they don't like. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown