Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Esmi posted 27 August 2008 in The Warrior ProphetEsmi by Avariel600, Commoner

"Aurang tells Kellhus that she really does not love you and Kellhus responds that she confuses worship for love. "

as I haven't read the thousandfold thought yet (I just started it) I haven't gotten to those parts yet, but I did mention that Esmi's love for Kellhus seems more focused on almost a blind, worshipful adoration and less on true love. Which I think this quote just validated. The idea behind Kellhus seducing Esmenet is due to her massive intellect and her ideal prospects as a mate and eventual breeding factory; she'll produce high quality children. I am let down because it seems that Bakker has painted a character that, out of everyone, SHOULD be wise to Kellhus' true ambitions, and yet she becomes very Serwe like, thinking that Kellhus loves her and "worshipping" him as a god as you've pointed out with that part of TTT.

The sexist part comes from what the second response pointed out; that Esemenet realizes she's never been and never will be happier then when she was with Achamian in the desert when they escaped camping n the ruins with the rest of the Holy War for those five days; then she was living on caught game and rations, in a tent, with no one else around but Akka. Bakker started Esmi off with an admirable thirst for knowledge and the world and adventure in general, and somehow it's become a desire for power over an empire, even if it means becoming Kellhus' tool in order to maintain the status and wealth she's become privvy to. The fact that she even realizes that this is what's happened to her eventually makes it even worse; she's letting it happen to her willingly for materialistic and social gain? How did she start out such a deep, intuitive character, a whore of the flesh but never of the spirit, and basically turns into a "gold-digger", for lack of a better term? She speaks of being redeemed and yet in the end she's simply another sort of whore.

I think a lot of people regard this as sexist simply because most other female characters that are remotely prominent in the book don't have any place; Serwe was little more than an empty-headed pawn, and the only other real female influences are the emperor's mother and Esemenet. Esemenet had potential; and I think a lot of people are let down that instead of this potential being fully realized she's turned into another pawn.

Maybe that was the point, that everyone in this series is simply a pawn. The differences between Esmi and Cnaiur (sp) are that the barbarian realizes what the Dunyain really do after his encounters with Kellhus' father, and he had QUITE a different reaction than Esmenet does, if what you're saying is true about her truly "realizing" Kellhus in the third book. Again, I may be wrong on that point since I'm not done reading it yet, but...point taken? The men who understand Kellhus turn against him, while the woman simply behaves herself like a good little pawn. But, woman or man, someone has to play that part, I suppose.

I still love these books. but they break my heart, they do XD Very G.R.R. Martin reminiscent. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown