Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

The terms Wizard vs. Sorceror posted 09 July 2008 in The Thousandfold ThoughtThe terms Wizard vs. Sorceror by Curethan, Didact

Wouldn't be surprised if it turnes out to be Celomomas.. although as far as I can remember there is no mention of him being able to use magic, aside from popping out a prophecy as he died (which didn't seem to shock Seswatha) - but that would be some kickass magic right there, yeh? (divine in origin one would imagine) I mean it is the only prophecy mentioned in the books, and defies Kelhus' ability to work into his veiw of how things work.

On topic, my understanding (not sure where I derive this from though I have read ALOT of classical myths and legends) of the classic use of the term sorcerer is as a magic wielder who derives his power from an outside source channeled through himself, whereas a wizard would be one who utilizes incatations, rituals and the like to manipulate the magics that exist all around.

As for Bakker's choice to designate the titles as he has, I could not speculate a reason beyond the desire to differentiate a caste within his vision of magic users. I would suggest that the examples the OP cites are merely arbritrary. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown