Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Do you believe a God exists? posted 12 May 2005 in Philosophy DiscussionDo you believe a God exists? by Cynadar, Candidate

I've been really busy this last week... Here it goes for my reply...

Your post about my remark on parenting was very understandible. I didn't mean it to be taken that way, but perhaps I should elaborate. All I simply meant was you should raise your kids according to your own beliefs, values etc. But don't expect them to follow those values. This may just be PROBABILITY and CHANCE that I'm drastically different from the rest of the human race, but I prefer to think on my own, and make my own decisions. This may also be because I, essentially, grew up without a father, but I like to think about and analyze things in my own light and decide what is right for me. That's I'm trying to get at. Raise kids how you see fit, but let them think things out for themselves. Tell them "I don't think you should have sex until you get married" (for example), and give them reasons why they should wait. Then let them decide if they still want to have sex or if they think it's right to wait. Don't just say "NO SEX" without supporting reasons and expect them to blindly follow the rule. That's what I was trying to say: let your children decide things for themselves based on what you teach them and their own thought process.

And just to be a little thought-provoking, beginning of this semester, my chemistry teacher (he's really cool and sometimes gets off subject with this kind of talk) said that the only reason many adults have kids (Now anyway) is to fill their inadequacies. He says that the reason parents want you to get good grades or do well in sports is because they never did; they want to fill their own failures in their kids...

I'm getting extremely irritated with these long replies, so here it is:

Your have your beliefs, I have mine. Let's just leave it at that, and forget arguing because neither of us will ever agree with the other. I'm just gonna finish off with this quote from Grag Graffin (lead singer of Bad Religion, author of "Evolution, Monism, Atheism and the Naturalist World-View," and a professor of evolutionary history (or some kind of biology at least) at Cornell University)

"We don't subscribe to dogmatic ways of life and dogmatic views of life. Religion, in general, is founded in dogma and in restriction of ideas, restriction of thought. It's these things that I feel are very bad about religion. It's also very bad about nationalistic views. It's something that mankind, as a group, is not going to benefit from. It's something that will instill violence and it will instill fighting and it will instill noncooperation of different groups of humans"

I could not use my own words to put a better main reason why I don't follow any religion. It's for these reasons that, if I were to believe in God, I would still not follow any set religion, I would just follow my own beliefs. However, you already know that it is not the case, so... I'm done arguing now. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown