Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Great News - and please post what work you are all doing. posted 01 May 2005 in Writing TipsGreat News - and please post what work you are all doing. by Atanvarno, Peralogue

The background of my world began to take shape three years ago, and has changed a hell of a lot since then, from the maps to the metaphysics to the cultures. I take the Tolkien model of worldbuilding: start with the languages and the cultures will follow.

My book will, hopefully, stand alone. While I love the idea of a big series, what I don't want to do is explain everything. Referencing the history and background, to me, is enough, and gives a wonderful image of a small piece of the puzzle. Someone once said always leave them wanting more.

The story is the fall of a kingdom, itself the last holding of a fallen empire, but it is hardly homogenous culturally, with three distinct human cultures and one non-human one inside its borders, and much more without. It looks at the religious and cultural divides that allow the fall to happen. My favourate part is seeing a non-human outlook on philosophy, and how thier outlook of the world can bring everything crashing down.

At present it has no title that I actually like. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown