Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Great News - and please post what work you are all doing. posted 29 April 2005 in Writing TipsGreat News - and please post what work you are all doing. by dolemite, Commoner

I began creating my world/background at the beginning of last fall, and though its been a bit of a struggle, I've begun to put some words on the page. Despite the good advice of others on this board I'm trying to immedietly launch into a rather huge series, proably 6 + books, but hell, short stories can always come out of a longer work, nein?

Anyway, I found a working title for my book, "The Mandate of Heaven", which is what the Chinese called their particular means of legitimating rulers, namely that by upright moral conduct a good ruler could be supported by the universe, or nature itself to some extent.

My book has two general themes, the first of which is struggle between religions, primarialy, but not limited to, a conflict between an upstart monotheistic faith, and a heiarchical (?) politcally involved polytheism. I've always been very interested in the conflict between Christianity and paganism in the ancient world (and continuing right up to today), so I'm trying to write something that can hopefully criticize and commened the appropriate aspects of both religious traditions.

The second major theme is the decline of the human species and their political order thanks to two other races who have developed superior "magic", (I'm trying to make the application of magic in my books EXTREMELY limited), one race consisting of vampire like creatures, and the other a symbiotic cultural grouping of various Neanderthals, Yeti, and other ape-like hominids.

]The environmenatlist in me wants desprately to write about the revenge of nature and animals on the world of man, so I've devised a way that I think is interesting, but I'm not sure if it is reasonable. Basically, the only magic I'm allowing in my world is the ability to control animals, which can be taken to quite sophisticated levels. For example, an individual who had mastered this particular art could confront a cavalry charge with a herd of stampeding cave buffalo or something. It's common knowledge that humans are physically weaklings compared to most animals, so I wanted to play with the idea of what might happen if some intelligent force could mobilize various animals throughout the world with the express purpose of destabilizing human civilization. Like I said though, not sure if its feasible, so I'd like it if anyone could provide some feedback. Gracias para todos! view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown