Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Do you believe a God exists? posted 28 April 2005 in Philosophy DiscussionDo you believe a God exists? by Randal, Auditor

We're talking about two different things here, confusingly both called "god".

One can believe that the universe was created by some kind of external force or intelligence, and name that force "god." Let's call it a "creator."

Or one can believe in the god of the bible who is omnipotent, omnibenevolent, omniscient, etc, who rewards good people with heaven and bad people with hell, who poses rules of conduct for mortals, etc, etc. (there are, of course, a million variations on this theme.) Let's call this one "Jehova."

I personally believe in neither of these things, but I do find the first one a lot more plausible than the second. I reject the first one because I do not think a universe created by a mysterious eternal "creator" is any more logical or clear than a universe that simply is eternal (and mysterious) by itself. I reject the second for the inconsistencies and contradictions listed here, and many similar ones.

Anyway, arguments against the second kind of god do not apply to the first one at all.

Now, on a completely different tangent (one is allowed to ramble on messageboards, right?) a question for the believers in the second kind of god:

If I were to assume, hypothetically, that the bible is correct, and Jehova exist, why should I worship him?

Besides the rather obvious reason I'll be punished with hellfire if I disobey (that's not a good reason, i.m.o. Worship out of fear would not be worship at all.) and rewarded with eternal life and happyness if I do, I can't think of any reason to do such a thing. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown