Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Bakker vs. Kellhus in Cranium posted 03 April 2005 in Author Q & ABakker vs. Kellhus in Cranium by Randal, Auditor

Until mr. Bakker can answer the question, you might be interested in reading [url=http://www.sfsite.com/10a/sb185.htm/:20hipzri]this interview.[/url:20hipzri]

Specifically, it contains this question:

Q: In a series filled with vivid, fascinating characters, Kellhus (for me anyway) is the standout -- not least because, unlike some other writers who portray superhumanly intelligent beings, you succeed in making his intellectual superiority completely convincing. What were the challenges of creating such a character?

A: I've always felt more intelligent when I write than when I speak. Take me away from my computer screen, and I'm lucky if my thoughts attain the clarity of Campbell's Soup. I suppose (and remember, I'm writing this response!) this is because writing allows you to step outside of time, to think a thousand thoughts where the reader encounters only one. And if you think about it, this is pretty much what Kellhus does while speaking. He stands outside the rush of verbal interaction, and so is able to scrutinize and premeditate where others can only reflexively respond.

So in a formal sense, portraying Kellhus's superhuman intelligence was relatively easy. I would start with straight dialogue for Kellhus's scenes, which I would then go over again and again, each time giving Kellhus more in the way of insights and observations. It was the substance of these insights and observations that proved exceedingly difficult to write. But here again, I had the luxury of time: I would work and rework them until I eventually came up with something 'Kellhus worthy.' I took a shotgun approach.
view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown